http://iipdigital.us...l#axzz1NPdCp4cj

Launch of New J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program Website

U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE
Office of the Spokesman
May 25, 2011

MEDIA NOTE

Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs
New J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program Website

On June 1 the State Departmentís Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs (ECA) will launch a new J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website.

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program is a work and study exchange program created to further mutual understanding between the people of the United States and people of other countries. More than 350,000 J-1 visa visitors come to the United States each year, including high school and university students, researchers, physicians, and summer work travelers.

The new site ( http://j1visa.state.gov ) will greatly improve the online application experience. Everything potential applicants need to know, from how to participate in a program to what the program is like can be found on the new site.

The look and navigation of the new site reflects state-of-the-art web design and plain-language instructions on how to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program. The site features descriptions of each Exchange Visitor program category, so that individuals can find which category is right for them, and testimonials from exchange participants. The site also provides clear instructions on how to apply. Videos and interactive content have been developed to extend the siteís reach into social media. It will give users a faster, easier, and more efficient web experience.

The site is designed to perform well in either low or high bandwidth environments. The site also features an interactive map of the United States for individuals interested in finding out, state by state, how many participants and sponsors are involved in the Exchange Visitor Program.

The new site reflects the Department of Stateís commitment to a revitalized Web presence that connects international audiences with the information they need to take part in valuable cultural exchanges, and is the first step in a comprehensive re-design of ECAís web presence aimed at organizing websites according to how users access ECA information. ECAís existing J-1 Visa Exchange Visitor Program website receives the highest volume of user traffic and represents the most popular search item on the ECA website.

(Distributed by the Bureau of International Information Programs, U.S. Department of State. Web site: http://iipdigital.us...l-en/index.html )

Read more: http://iipdigital.us...l#ixzz1NSrKlQfI

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#2 PINKRANGER

PINKRANGER
  • Members
  • 569 posts
  • Interests:reading, napping, surfing the net
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ve

Posted 26 May 2011 - 05:40 PM

http://iipdigital.usembassy.gov/st/english/texttrans/2011/05/20110525165449su0.4039532.html#axzz1NPdCp4cj

my friend who is a BS Agriculture major in PLant Breeding, Genetics & Pathology will come here in USA (North Carolina) under this J1 visa! he says, as long as the applicant have intent for further study like master's degree to PhD its easy! furthermore, the consul also evaluated his financial capacity to study abroad, ties in the philippines and job experience which will be the basis if the visa candidate will be competent anough...

on the other hand, i think this will be a new "agenda" of some professional filipinos to enter United States for "further study" hehehe :P
<!--coloro:#FF00FF--><span style="color:#FF00FF"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->April 28, 2009 submitted I-129F
May 1, 2009 - NOA1
August 28, 2009 - recieved RFE
Sept. 10, 2009 - submitted RFE document
Sept 14, 2009 - RFE recieved by VSC
Sept 15, 2009 - updated
Sept 18, 2009 - updated
OCTOBER 14, 2009 - NOA2 (TO GOD BE THE GLORY)
OCTOBER 22, 2009 - NOA2 HARDCOPY
OCTOBER 26, 2009 - MANILA CASE NUMBER ASSIGNED (PRAISE GOD!!!)
OCTOBER 27, 2009 - NVC letter recieved (hardcopy)[i] dated Oct 22, 2009
OCTOBER 30, 2009 - called hotline...GOT VISA APPOINTMENT INTERVIEW SCHEDULE
Nov 5, 2009 - US EMBASSY LETTER dated Oct 29, 2009 delivered by DHL
November 10, 2009 - medical exam@ SLEC---->>>PASSED! TO GOD BE THE GLORY!!!
November 17, 2009 - interview ----<!--sizeo:6--><span style="font-size:24pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->APPROVED!!! <!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> WHEW
November 20, 2009 - VISA ON HAND (THANK YOU LORD FOR COMPLETING THIS IN ME)
November 26, 2009 - CFO SEMINAR (8:30AM session)
11:00PM - FLIGHT TO GUAM-HAWAII-HOUSTON-DALLAS
November 27, 2009 - ARRIVED IN TEXAS!!!<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#2E8B57--><span style="color:#2E8B57"><!--/coloro-->SSN
dec 10, 2009 - applied for SSN
dec 17, 2009 - SS card arrived!<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#9932CC--><span style="color:#9932CC"><!--/coloro-->AOS
April 1, 2010 - AOS Packet sent
April 5, 2010 - AOS Packet recieved
April 13, 2010 - NOA1 with reciept number
May 6, 2010 - RFE
June 3, 2010 - BIOMETRICS @ USCIS Fortworth, TX
June 14, 2010 - ::RE submission of RFE
June 18, 2010 - RFE
July 19, 2010 - ::RE submission of RFE #2
July 22, 2010 - RFE package recieved by USCIS
August 2, 2010 - Online notice recieved: CASE TRANSFERRED TO CALIFORNIA
August 11, 2010 - Notice by mail: TRANSFER NOTICE / TRAVEL PAROLE in mail!!! yehaaaa!!!
August 31, 2010 - Case for I-485 Updated
September 4, 2010 - EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION CARD in mail!!!
September 20, 2010 - Card Production Ordered for AOS :)
September 23, 2010 - Welcome Notice /APPROVAL letter from USCIS
October 1, 2010 - Online Notice GC is mailed
October 3, 2010 - GC in mailbox/RTS (return to sender) UNKNOWN REASON!!! :(
October 4, 2010 - USCIS emailed that GC was returned to their office/UNDELIVERABLE
October 5, 2010 - AM: called USCIS hotline that GC is missing and was not recieved
-------------->PM: USCIS mailed GC back again/got a hold order for mails in post office
October 8, 2010 - picked up RESIDENT CARD/GREENCARD IN POST OFFICE ***SIGH*** Finally! Praise God!!! <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

<!--coloro:#9932CC--><span style="color:#9932CC"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><div align='center'>IN CHRIST, joy

"FOR I KNOW THE PLANS I HAVE FOR YOU", SAYS THE LORD, "PLANS TO PROSPER YOU AND NOT TO HARM YOU, PLANS TO GIVE YOU HOPE AND A FUTURE..." JEREMIAH 29:11</div><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#3 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 18 July 2013 - 03:53 AM

Maybe somebody here can help.. say I went to graduate school in the US on a J1 visa. I'm a born Canadian citizen. I would need to marry my common law spouse in order for him to accompany on a J2. He is a Filipino, previously (and still) married in the Philippines although I was able to sponsor him to Canada as my Common-Law (Conjugal) spouse. He is now a Permanent Resident of Canada. It is possible for him to divorce his (ex) Filipina spouse and remarry in Canada. As far as I know this is perfectly legit in Canada. However of course he will still always be married in the Philippines. Will a certificate of marriage from Canada be enough for his J2 visa or will we get into trouble when they ask for records from the Philippines?

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,855 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 18 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Maybe somebody here can help.. say I went to graduate school in the US on a J1 visa. I'm a born Canadian citizen. I would need to marry my common law spouse in order for him to accompany on a J2. He is a Filipino, previously (and still) married in the Philippines although I was able to sponsor him to Canada as my Common-Law (Conjugal) spouse. He is now a Permanent Resident of Canada. It is possible for him to divorce his (ex) Filipina spouse and remarry in Canada. As far as I know this is perfectly legit in Canada. However of course he will still always be married in the Philippines. Will a certificate of marriage from Canada be enough for his J2 visa or will we get into trouble when they ask for records from the Philippines?

Yes he can divorce his ex in Canada and remarry. That would be enough for his J2.

As far as the Philippine marriage thing, once he becomes a Canadian citizen that would mostly not matter. There is a grey-area in regards to dual-citizenship that hasn't been tested in the Philippine courts yet (as far as I know, I check every now and then but I haven't checked in months).

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#5 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,261 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 19 July 2013 - 01:47 AM

The way it works is that the prevailing law takes precedence.

US recognizes the Canadian divorce, so he would be divorced from the Filipina wife for US legal purposes. The NSO marriage record establishes the existence of a prior marriage and the Canadian Final Decree establishes the termination of that marriage for US and Canadian legal purposes.

If something came up in Philippines where a Judge is asked to decide which spouse benefits from the marriage, then the Filipina spouse will be the legal wife for Philippine legal purposes.

If your partner gains Canadian citizenship THEN divorces his Filipina wife under Canadian law, he can apply for Judicial Recognition of a Foreign Divorce in Philippines and the marriage will be legally terminated under Philippine law. Remember that this applies only if he files the divorce as a Canadian citizen. Dual citizen status does not affect this result as the divorce was filed in Canadian court by a dual citizen acting in the capacity of a citizen of Canada.

If your partner files the divorce in Canadian court and afterwards gains Canadian citizenship then the divorce is NOT valid in Philippines as it was filed by a Resident Alien acting in the capacity of a citizen of Philippines.

There are many combinations possible, but it boils down to:
A divorce filed abroad by a citizen of Philippines is not valid in Philippines
A divorce filed abroad by a citizen of a country that allows divorce is valid in Philippines once it is recognized by a Philippine court by means of a Judicial Recognition hearing.
(Filipino dual citizens can obtain a divorce using their second citizenship)

The adventures continue
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#6 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 20 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

Thanks guys. He has to be a resident of BC for one year before he can file for divorce. Apparently if we moved to another province the clock would reset and he would have to wait another year in that province. Citizenship is about a 5 year wait.. at that point, who knows what the Philippine laws will be?

Anyways it's great to know that the US will recognize a divorce in Canada and this won't become complicated. There's a residency requirement to his Permanent Residency status, but as long as he is living outside of Canada with the Canadian Citizen spouse then it's all good.

Ideally he would wait 5 years and petition for recognition of foreign divorce. But I hear that's even pricier than annulment. So maybe we will do it as soon as possible and attempt cross the annulment bridge in the Philippines if he ever feels he needs it in the future.

Thanks again! It's a huge weight off my mind  :D

Any idea what kind of proof the US embassy would ask for a J2 visa? Would a simple marriage certificate do, or do they want pictures, letters, phone bills, etc?   It seems like a great visa..   Thanks USA  :wub:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users