Photo

You are a Guest Speaker in Filipino Public School....What do you say?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 joseph41

joseph41
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

My wife asked me to do this 2 years ago (before she knew me better...haha).  It's not a great honor as the kids pretty much run amok in my few sit-ins, but I feel like I can really make a difference if I prepare and handle it accordingly.  Here's what i want to get through to them: It's OK to be smart and esp for the girls (it's grade 5), you dont need a man to reach your goals.  You can learn from everyone, even children. And of course in an hour try to teach them all some basic manners...honestly, chivalry, decency, etc.  Yeah its a tough one, but the opportunity is there and wife is more established so I will have more leeway.   What do you guys think?  What would you try to teach them?  If we do it right, it won't matter WHAT we tell them.  They will have a new respect for foreigners.  At least for a little while..haha.  btw, its a small village about a half hour out of Ormoc.  And the kids already know me.

#2 Thetimewillcome

Thetimewillcome
  • 301 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

You might want to give a presentation on some aspect of American life in which you can demonstrate the differences and similarities to life in the Philippines.

October 2010- Met online
October 28, 2010-Officially a couple
Feb 26, 2011- Met at NAIA
Feb 28, 2011- Proposed in Bali
Sept 1, 2011- Second trip to the Philippines
Feb 11, 2012- Third trip to the Philippines
July 9, 2012- Final divorce judgement
Aug 10, 2012- Sent I-129F
Aug 14 2012- NOA 1

April 19 2013-NOA 2
Aug 5 Sputum negative, finished medical

Aug 7 Embassy interview passed

Aug 31 Visa delivered.

The US government agencies that process visa applications suck stinky a$$.

‎"A wise man should consider health is the greatest blessing, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses" -Hippocrates

#3 joseph41

joseph41
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • te

Posted 11 December 2012 - 12:52 AM

Thanks for the feedback, but none of these kids will ever see the US.  If they don't hate me already, they would soon develop a taste for it  I just want to show the youth that we are not all bad...and it only takes one good exposure to make a solid impression on them that would last a lifetime.  I won't mince words...Filipinos are very racist and we all know that racism is borne out of ignorance.  I'm just trying to lessen it all.....and that's better for all of us.    

#4 Thetimewillcome

Thetimewillcome
  • 301 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

Well, then maybe some kind of demo that they will be interested in. If it was me, I'd do some kind of science demo, but that is my background. I don't know your particular skillset, but something to show them (music, or something along that line?). Kids have a curious nature, no mater where they are from.

October 2010- Met online
October 28, 2010-Officially a couple
Feb 26, 2011- Met at NAIA
Feb 28, 2011- Proposed in Bali
Sept 1, 2011- Second trip to the Philippines
Feb 11, 2012- Third trip to the Philippines
July 9, 2012- Final divorce judgement
Aug 10, 2012- Sent I-129F
Aug 14 2012- NOA 1

April 19 2013-NOA 2
Aug 5 Sputum negative, finished medical

Aug 7 Embassy interview passed

Aug 31 Visa delivered.

The US government agencies that process visa applications suck stinky a$$.

‎"A wise man should consider health is the greatest blessing, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses" -Hippocrates

#5 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:04 AM

I would teach them some kind of craft, like origami, something small and simple that they can create out of ordinary things they can find around home.. to help encourage hobbies, a creative mind and combat the perils of boredom.

Or maybe just teach them about birth control :ph34r:

#6 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

Well, then maybe some kind of demo that they will be interested in. If it was me, I'd do some kind of science demo, but that is my background. 

Mentos and Diet Coke? 2 things readily available there 

http://en.wikipedia....Mentos_eruption

#7 W. Thomas

W. Thomas
  • Members
  • 231 posts
  • Interests:Theology. Children's issues. Computers.
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • te

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:08 PM

I would suggest whatever you do, limit the scope to one or two things.  Your original post struck me as a bit ambitious for a 1 hour time frame.  Select one or two things you want to get accross and reinforce those well, or the lesson will not stick well with them.

Just a thought. 

I would speak to them of your travels in other countries and your experiences around the world.  Let them know there are things that all peoples in the world share and that there are things that make each people group unique. 

I would dwell on the positives you find in the Filipino culture instead of the negatives though, as well as the other cultures you touch on.  They may never travel the world, but who knows, they might, and it might be your talk that inspires them to strive for greater things.

Bill

#8 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the feedback, but none of these kids will ever see the US.  If they don't hate me already, they would soon develop a taste for it  I just want to show the youth that we are not all bad...and it only takes one good exposure to make a solid impression on them that would last a lifetime.  I won't mince words...Filipinos are very racist and we all know that racism is borne out of ignorance.  I'm just trying to lessen it all.....and that's better for all of us.    

Ok..ok..ok.. introduce yourself though they knew you already ..tell them how you become attracted to Phil. reason why you are there and since you told filipinos are very racist (not sure,don't agree this) ask them what their impression/opinion about you or how do they consider you and the other foreign guys too to begin your presentation as a guest speaker since you are a stranger.None of them will ever see the US but oh....who knows from you even they are in grade 5 they begin to have such "American Dream" at young age..haha

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#9 joseph41

joseph41
  • Members
  • 103 posts
  • te

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

Thanks for feedback, everyone. Yeah, it needs to be more concise and limited. And lol at birth control! I could have used that advice myself! haha. I know just my presence helps a lot of them understand that foreigners are not all bad. In the province, many are raised to believe that. It's amazing the tolerances they have for noise, rudeness, disrespect and inconsideration. But no tolerance at all for foreigners. I'm sure the kids in my wife's school don't think I'm the devil, and hopefully that gives me the opening to make my points. More to think about.

#10 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 24 December 2012 - 09:52 PM

I dont think they are any more racist then any other race. I've been there 6 times and no one ever showed any signs of being racist to me but then again I couldnt understand what they were saying. I think I would have known if they were, it's hard to hide that kind of hate.

#11 Mel

Mel
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:my wife, our 2 children, and my youth program and the youngsters in it
  • lo

Posted 25 December 2012 - 01:57 AM

Reading your posts, I know U are strongly opinionated.  For 1 hour, soften up and tell them some of the good things about PI, and some of the things U prefer about PI.  I know there are some things there preferable to USA.  Talk about those things, and let them see that a foreigner likes some things about their Country, and does not look down at them. 

Edited by Mel, 25 December 2012 - 01:58 AM.

10/22/10: Mailed N400
10/26/10: Received confirmation of payment, I-797C
11/04/10: Biometrics December 2nd, in Elizabeth NJ
01/14/11: Citizenship scheduled for February 15th
02/15/11: Citizenship interview passed!
02/15/11: Swearing in ceremony. Rocelle Lomanda Zitter is an American Citizen!!!

#12 Katherine Pierce

Katherine Pierce
  • 939 posts
  • te

Posted 25 December 2012 - 05:11 AM

I think that to start with, you should try to get rid of this animosity you have against the Filipinos and the feeling that everyone hates you/will hate you just because you've had a bad experience with them...at least until after you've given this speech because it will show and it's not gonna help you. My husband lived in Leyte for 2 years and had been to Ormoc several times. He had seen what you call rudeness, etc. but he didn't take those personally and understands that it's their way of life. It might be because he lived there long enough and associated himself with the locals often enough to really understand them.

As for your speech... "You don't need a man to reach your goals." I hope you won't say it exactly like that if you're trying to teach independence and self-reliance because if something like that comes out of a foreigner's mouth — especially one who's married to a Pinay — what would that make the listening adults think? 

The whole part of being civilized is being able to control one's emotions when someone says something that they dont like.

#13 MrIain

MrIain
  • Members
  • 27 posts
  • em

Posted 25 December 2012 - 08:46 AM

My suggestion (also made by some others here) is to tell them something about the US, and the differences and similarities between your country and the Philippines. I think you should highlight what is good about each country, and steer clear of any negatives or criticisms.

Not sure about the "you don't need a man to achieve your goals" concept. My experience as an expat living in the Middle East (as well as being the husband of a Filipina!) is that people from different cultures look at this in very different ways. They won't necessarily buy in or even identify with what a foreigner has to say about it.

In any event, if you have a message to give, then it would be better to show this by examples, and let them draw their own conclusions.

#14 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:24 PM

If you feel the need to speak, talk about your travels or your own childhood experiences growing up in America. Don't pollute their way of life with that feminist BS about not needing a man.  Your strong dislike for the Filipino male will cloud your objectivity even more on that issue even more.  

Edited by denterprise, 25 December 2012 - 04:25 PM.

God is Good all the time

Dave

#15 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:54 AM

Don't pollute their way of life with that feminist BS about not needing a man.  

Wow.. kind of an inappropriate comment for a Mod don't you think?

#16 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:46 PM

Wow.. kind of an inappropriate comment for a Mod don't you think?

Inappropriate in what way?  I have observed the effects this feminist philosophy has had on the American culture and the family structure specifically.  Because I view the culture in the Philippines concerning family in a more positive light than what I see taking place in the U.S.A does not make my comment inappropriate.  Many Western men feel the same way, which is why they seek relationships in the PI in the first place.  Men and women should be compliments to each other and not adversaries. 

How is it you find my comments inappropriate and you see nothing wrong with a man that has expressed a strong dislike for the Filipino male, speaking to a class of small children?  He wants to give an inspirational speech to the female members of the class using flawed feminist rhetoric but you say nothing.  

God is Good all the time

Dave

#17 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:05 PM

I agree 100% with you Dave. I see nothing inappropriate in what you posted, Mod or not the truth is the truth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users