2 replies to this topic

#1 aleena23

aleena23
  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 25 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

Hi i hope someone can help answer my question. My parents are in the Philippines right now . Theyre planning to come back here in the us by January, theyre reentry permit expire april 2018. My dad will come back to the Philippines around feb or march to do some errands and will come back here in the us around may . Is there gonna be a problem if the reentry permit expires whille in the Philippines or since its short trip it will be ok ?

Another thing is they cant apply for new re entry if its not expired yet right ? Of they can apply before it expires?

Thanks in advance

Edited by aleena23, 25 November 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,237 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 27 November 2017 - 02:38 AM

For a trip that will last less than 6 months a reentry permit is not needed.  For safety, get a reentry permit for trips expected to last 5 months or longer.   An absence of 6 months but less than 1 year does not bar reentry without the permit, but accumulated residence time towards naturalization in excess of 364 days is lost.

When renewing an unexpired reentry permit, the existing permit must be returned to USCIS before the new one can be issued.  You will include the current permit with the application for the new permit.  If the unexpired permit is lost and a replacement is needed an explanation of how it was lost will be required.

I-131 Application for Travel Document Instructions (PDF)

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 aleena23

aleena23
  • Members
  • 145 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te