#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 13 February 2014 - 04:28 PM

Does anyone on this forum live on Guam?

One of our members on another forum (MAG-ANAK) lives on Guam (he is a local, born and raised there).  It seems that there are quite a few guys who have lived on Guam for short periods of time, or passed through there, but very few non-locals stay there long.  A few years back I worked with a White guy who lived and worked on Guam as a cab driver and married a Filipina he met there.  

I've known several ex-military guys who were stationed there for periods of time.

My impression is that there's really not much on Guam to hold anyone there for long periods of time. Like other Pacific island areas, many locals get out of there to look for better-paying work soon as they are able.

--Ray B

#3 mark78

mark78
  • Members
  • 51 posts
  • Visa type:DCF
  • US Embassy Manila

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:28 AM

One of our members on another forum (MAG-ANAK) lives on Guam (he is a local, born and raised there).  It seems that there are quite a few guys who have lived on Guam for short periods of time, or passed through there, but very few non-locals stay there long.  A few years back I worked with a White guy who lived and worked on Guam as a cab driver and married a Filipina he met there.  

I've known several ex-military guys who were stationed there for periods of time.

My impression is that there's really not much on Guam to hold anyone there for long periods of time. Like other Pacific island areas, many locals get out of there to look for better-paying work soon as they are able.

--Ray B

OK good  to know. 

Bye the way when I started this vsia  for  my wife and her  daughter I chatted with you via e-mail and you gave me some advice on my questions, just wanted to say thanks for taking your  time to keep me....

#4 Ako Ay Pilipino

Ako Ay Pilipino
  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Location:Northern Central Region of Luzon. Formerly from Northern & Southern California
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 17 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Hi Mark,

I think I know you from another forum, but don't see you posting much! Anyway, your topic. I've been on Guam about half a dozen times when I was still in the Air Force Reserves from Travis AFB, Ca and doing my 2 week training at Anderson AFB. During my time off, I and guys from my group would rent a vehicle aka a "Guam Bomb" similar to a "Rent-A-Wreck" car rental place, looked terrible, but ran OK to get us around. Guam seems to be a lonely place to live, but it has some of it's good points once you get to know some the locals living there! Everything is flown into Guam since Guam has nothing of their own produced or manufactured there, so things can be expensive in the supermarkets and malls. Guam is constantly on a weather watch due to hurricanes depending on the time of the year. The beaches are nice and warm all year round, but dangerous due to the sharks and what one may step on, wearing foot ware is a must just walking in the sand in knee high water!

Homes there are usually just one story homes and made of solid poured cement roof and wall structures to withstand high winds.

Beware of the roads there, because of what is called "black ice" which is some sort of moss and when it's wet it is pretty slippery!

That's about what I know from memory from years ago! It's a nice place to visit, but I don't think we could live there all year round!         

Edited by Ako Ay Pilipino, 17 February 2014 - 03:34 PM.

"Life is what we all make it to be!" 

"It's always a matter of money!"

"Do on to others as they would do on to you, but do it first!"

"QUE SERA SERA!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users