• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca

Posted 21 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Ever since he was born he never liked to drink water or juice but I still insists in giving it to him once after his meal. In those times still he would swallow some and spit most. He'll turn 1 in a couple weeks and I'm still struggling in offering him liquids other than formula. I know I won't stop making him drink his water or juice because that's very essential for his system but I was just wondering if there's any option to get this better. I mean maybe someday he would drink half cup at least.

I would love to hear from the other Mommies out here. Thank you so much!

#2 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:14 PM

I'm not a mom lol but have 6 kids , try giving him the juice before he eats, that way he's hungry and like most kids will eat or drink anything when they are hungry lol

#3 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • ca

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:31 PM

I think that's a good idea to try when he wake up from his nap today. Thank you so much!

#4 asianstreak

asianstreak
  • Banned
  • 6,039 posts
  • Interests:too many to mentions
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:36 PM

Put the water in a bottle... rolleyes.gif

and I put a little bit sugar on their juice.

If I gave them milk I rarely follow it with water cos I know that their stomach is full already.When they are running around and playing I am sure they will get thirsty and that where the time I will gave them water.Some mother they will give them milk but I do not do that .when my kids is 1 year and above .I gave milk only when they are sleepy and time for nap.When they wake up I gave juice or water.

So water is only when they wake up from nap or from sleep or when they are playing...

Milk is when they get sleepy

Edited by asianstreak, 21 February 2010 - 06:41 PM.

#5 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • ca

Posted 21 February 2010 - 06:59 PM

[quote name='asianstreak' date='Feb 21 2010, 12:36 PM' post='244661']
Put the water in a bottle... :rolleyes

Trust me I have done that several times and I got the same reaction over and over.

and I put a little bit sugar on their juice.
Juice(s) here doesn't need anymore sugar for they're already sweet. I don't use sugar to any of his food that's just something not good for growing infants.

If I gave them milk I rarely follow it with water cos I know that their stomach is full already. [color="#800080"]I've tried this too even on his first week but still no progress
.When they are running around and playing I am sure they will get thirsty and that where the time I will gave them water.Some mother they will give them milk but I do not do that .when my kids is 1 year and above .I gave milk only when they are sleepy and time for nap.When they wake up I gave juice or water.

So water is only when they wake up from nap or from sleep or when they are playing...

Milk is when they get sleepy

He drinks his formula before and after he goes to nap and that's about it. While he's playing, I sometimes pour in some water on his cup and give it to him but he'd swallow a drop and spit the rest.

Thank you for your reply!

#6 asianstreak

asianstreak
  • Banned
  • 6,039 posts
  • Interests:too many to mentions
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:09 PM

hmm ..the last advice is ..

talk to your Pedia rolleyes.gif

When my kids were the same age as your baby..I did encounter problems too cos each has different personality and they are 3.I use different kind of techniques,yes sugar is not good for growing infants if you put too much sweets on it,so I just put little just to have taste in their food ,,the purpose is to make them eat and make them drink.

So far,my kids grow up a healthy child ,active and smart.

Edited by asianstreak, 21 February 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#7 laradee

laradee
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Colorado

Posted 21 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (lovetells @ Feb 21 2010, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ever since he was born he never liked to drink water or juice but I still insists in giving it to him once after his meal. In those times still he would swallow some and spit most. He'll turn 1 in a couple weeks and I'm still struggling in offering him liquids other than formula. I know I won't stop making him drink his water or juice because that's very essential for his system but I was just wondering if there's any option to get this better. I mean maybe someday he would drink half cup at least.

As long as your baby is drinking good with his formula don't worry about him not drinking water. Your infant will get all the necessary hydration from formula. My baby doesn't drink much water either. He is 8 mos old now, I started giving him water when he was 7 mos old. I diluted it with juice coz he doesn't like to drink it plain. He still doesn't drink much though. Pediatricians even said not to give water to newborn or infant until 6 mos it can cause water intoxication. http://www.babycente...-water_10012.bc
Your baby will learn to drink more water when he eats more solid foods and less formula.
I-751 Removing Condition Timeline

June 17, 2009 ------- Mailed I-751 package to CSC.
June 19, 2009 ------- Packaged delivered/received by CSC.
June 26, 2009 ------- Received NOA in the mail (1 year extension of GC)
Aug 22, 2009 ------- Received Biometric Schedule in the mail.
Sep 01, 2009 ------- Biometric at 3:00 pm
Sep 03, 2009 ------- Touched
Sep 10, 2009 ------- Touched
Sep 11, 2009 ------- Touched
Oct 03, 2009 ------- Received email from Cri89 "Card Production Ordered Oct 2"
Oct 06, 2009 ------- Received approval from the mail.
Oct 09, 2009 ------- 10 year Green Card Received. God is great all the time!!!!

N-400 Timeline

April 30, 2010 ------- Mailed N-400 package.
May 21, 2010 ------- NOA 1 received.
June 17, 2010 ------- NOA 2 (Biometrics Notification received)
June 30, 2010 ------- Biometrics done.
July 8, 2010 ------- Case transferred to local office for interview schedule.
July 10, 2010 ------- Notice of Action received in the mail. Initial interview August 12, 2010.
Aug 12, 2010 ------- Interview Passed. Thank God for everything!
Aug 28, 2010 ------- Oath Ceremony, Finally done with immigration papers. Thank You Heavenly Father

Visit My Blog

#8 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • ca

Posted 21 February 2010 - 11:26 PM

Ahh, that feels better Mommy lara!

We have stop seeing his pedia for months now cause he wanted my son to take the H1N1 vac before and I didn't want to.

Thank you laradee for your reply!

P.S. After he woke up from his nap this afternoon I gave him half a cup of juice and he did drink it, not all of it but it was more than he used to. I should continue doing that from now on and see how long it'd work. Thanks Hawk!

#9 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 22 February 2010 - 01:30 AM

QUOTE (lovetells @ Feb 21 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all, if he is taking enough formula, he is probably getting the liquids he needs.
Does he has any signs of dehydration?

Second, have you try to drink two full glasses of water after your dinner?
You might spit too. smile.gif
Proportionally is pretty much the same.

Try Tim's suggestion, but don't force him to have all his meal, or he might spit the meal!!!
In other words there is so much a baby can fit in his stomach, even if mommy thinks is too little.

The policy I have at home is that I never force food on kids, they eat/drink on time and as much as they want, and obviously only what's appropriate, but not what I think should be as far as quantity.

Cheers,

Carlos.
"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#10 Mel

Mel
  • 882 posts
  • Interests:my wife, our 2 children, and my youth program and the youngsters in it
  • lo

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE (lovetells @ Feb 21 2010, 06:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ahh, that feels better Mommy lara!

We have stop seeing his pedia for months now cause he wanted my son to take the H1N1 vac before and I didn't want to.

Thank you laradee for your reply!

P.S. After he woke up from his nap this afternoon I gave him half a cup of juice and he did drink it, not all of it but it was more than he used to. I should continue doing that from now on and see how long it'd work. Thanks Hawk!

Like Hawk, I'm a Dad and not a Mom. I worry about your having stopped seeing your pediatrician. I agree with U about the H1N1. Our pediatrician said he will NOT give it because it is too new for use with babies, but did give our baby (of course with our permission) regular flu shots. However, there are other vaccination your baby needs, both for her health and for future school acceptance. I think that maybe U should just change pediatricians.
10/22/10: Mailed N400
10/26/10: Received confirmation of payment, I-797C
11/04/10: Biometrics December 2nd, in Elizabeth NJ
01/14/11: Citizenship scheduled for February 15th
02/15/11: Citizenship interview passed!
02/15/11: Swearing in ceremony. Rocelle Lomanda Zitter is an American Citizen!!!

#11 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • ca

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:19 AM

Well, as for completing his vaccinations we're still doing it but not to a pedia. We do it at the WIC clinic which only costs $8 per visit. We don't need to spend $150 anymore each time we want to get his scheduled vaccine. Vacinnations are supposed to be free but to see a doctor isn't. We heard no problem so far from his pedia the last times we went, he was all healthy (I thanked God so much for that) and still is so I don't see any reasons of getting another one at least for now.

Thanks Mel for the contribution!

Carlos,

He drinks his formula before and after he naps or goes to bed so no other liquids before and after meals other than a half cup of juice I mixed to his cereals. Has he been showing dehydrations? I'm not sure, as what I've said he'd swallow a drop of water or juice and spits the rest. He only eats what he can eat, he's not a big baby either and was even a little premie. You could be right, he probably doesn't need any other liquids at this time. But, I just want to try some other option to help him get used to it and make him know that he needs water too.

Thank you Carlos!

Edited by lovetells, 22 February 2010 - 04:34 AM.

#12 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 22 February 2010 - 04:57 AM

If you want to introduce any food, or in your case, a different liquid in his diet the best way is doing in a favorable condition.
Between meals, set some time to play more physically with him and them offer the liquid.

Just be careful not to fall on the "my baby is not eating or drinking sufficient" syndrome I see in so many cases.
Our job as parents is making good quality food and liquid available, the kids have their own regulatory system.

I give you an example, my 5 years old girl is in a phase the she eats very little, no big deal she is healthy and active.
OTOH, my two teens (13 and 14) eat like there is no end in their stomach. smile.gif

Cheers,

Carlos.

"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#13 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • ca

Posted 22 February 2010 - 05:44 AM

I wish he'll be a big eater too but right now he's just on a right size for his age considering that he was a little early.

I would try that I idea too! Thanks again!

#14 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 22 February 2010 - 07:02 AM

I'm glad it helped. My bet was that after he ate there wasn't room for juice or water so he just spit it out. Give him the juice before he eats then let him eat what he wants. I'm like you , I want my baby to eat and drink different things. Also the juice will keep his stool soft.
TIM

#15 happymum2008

happymum2008
  • Members
  • 432 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:New York british Embassy

Posted 22 February 2010 - 09:17 AM

My son's he dont like to drink any liquids before even the formula he dont like it...because i am breastfeeding with him until now...What i did was get some water and put a little bit of juice just to make any taste...And every now and then try to give him a cup espicially after he play..teach him to hold the cup by his own..coz alot of kids they want to do it by thier own....
I hope this could help....

#16 fepsimark

fepsimark
  • Members
  • 1,337 posts
  • Interests:If you need a legitimate work at home job, email me at admission@comsvctech.com

Fepsi
  • Texas
  • Local Office:Fairfax VA

Posted 22 February 2010 - 03:23 PM

QUOTE (lovetells @ Feb 21 2010, 12:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi there,

I am a mommy too so let me join hi hi. How much formula in a day can your baby drink? As long as he's drinkin' enough formula in a day, he'll be fine. My Hannah starts drinkin' juice and water when she was 7 months old. (Hannah is turning 2 on March 6.) Don't worry, he'll get better. I think he's fine.

Congrats mommy....

#17 lovetells

lovetells
  • 902 posts
  • ca

Posted 23 February 2010 - 03:33 PM

Happymum,

I tried the same thing but I guess he can tell that the taste seemed different as it used to. I appreciate your time!

Feps,

He naps once in the morning and once in the afternoon. He would drink 6 ounces in every bottle so that would be a total of 24 approximately. At night because it's too dry, he could drink 2-3 bottles and that's it with a little bit of juice or water during the day.

Thanks Feps!

#18 Live.Laugh.Love

Live.Laugh.Love
  • Members
  • 140 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 03 March 2010 - 03:56 PM

I have a 15 month old little girl who has the same issue. She's pretty happy with her milk so I thought there's really no need for water at all. But I guess it's high time that she needs to be introduced to new things like water and juice. We bought the no spill sippy cups colored blue and another one colored yellow, didn't work-wouldn't touch it. Tried using glass (adult use - something new for her) took a sip and that's it. Bought a different set of two sippy cups this time colored purple and pink - played with it, took a few gulps and played with it some more. They say babies are clean slates, they need to be tought/shown over and over before they get it. Your baby will get the hang of it if he gets to see it as part of his high chair meal set up. See to it that he sees you drinking from the sippy cup too (pretend) and probably have his high chair set up in the dining area so he gets to see you eating as well.
I am in love with my bestfriend, who is also my lover and at the same time my husband

#19 mygift

mygift
  • 674 posts
  • ca

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:41 AM

Do not force your child if he doesn't like it. I remember my baby's doctor told me that water is not so necessary for an infant because it is 0 calorie. But if you really want your child to drink water or juice, just be patient and continue giving it to baby until baby get use to it.

I have 5 years old girl and until now she drink only a lil bit of water, mostly is milk or juice. There was even many times that she didn't drink water in a day, but of course she have other source of liquid like milk or juice and sometimes if juice is so sweet i will dilute it with water.
My Friendster
K-1 Visa Timeline

~* I-751 - REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS *~

April 30, 2009 = Sent I-751 Application to USCIS CSC (Priority Mail)
May 04, 2009 = Packet Delivered at 7:52am (checked at usps.com)
May 18, 2009 = USCIS cashed the check
May 22, 2009 = NOA received (1yr GC extension) me & daughter
June 20, 2009 = Received biometric appointment notice
July 08, 2009 = Biometric Schedule
June 27, 2009 = Biometric done (took in advance)
June 29, 2009 = Received biometric cancellation letter ( I disregard coz I have it done)
July 02, 2009 = Received new biometric schedule
July 21, 2009 = Suppose to be my new bio sched
July 28, 2009 = Received GC Approval Notice (and my baby is born)
July 30, 2009 = 10 yrs. GC in hand!!! (me and daughter)

~*AOS TIMELINE*~
Jan. 19, 07 = Applied my SSN
Feb. 17, 07 = Sent AOS & EAD Package
Feb. 19, 07 = USCIS received my package
Feb. 27, 07 = Received NOA1 for AOS & EAD
Mar. 05, 07 = Sent Advanced Parole Application
Mar. 06, 07 = Received SSN
Mar. 08, 07 = USCIS received AP Application
Mar. 12, 07 = Received RFE letter (requesting for 2006 ITR)
Apl. 24, 07 = Received NOA2
May 12, 07 = Biometrics Scheduled for I-485 & I-765
May 22, 07 = Sent my tax
May 25, 07 = USCIS received my tax
June 11, 07 = email received from Cris saying that they sent my EAD card
June 11, 07 = Received by mail an interview appointment
June 14, 07 = EAD card received
July 23, 07 = INTERVIEW APPROVED!!!
July 23, 07 = Applied for my daughter's SSN
July 24, 07 = Received WELCOME NOTICE by email (ME & DAUGHTER)
July 31, 07 = Received Welcome Notice by mail (ME & DAUGHTER)
Aug. 02, 07 = Received Approval Notice by email (ME & daughter)
Aug. 03, 07 = GREEN CARDS IN HAND!!!......

#20 mom of twins

mom of twins
  • Members
  • 189 posts
  • te

Posted 04 March 2010 - 05:08 PM

Hi lovetells,

My twins is also a premie. THey are 3 months early. Praise the Lord, they are very healthy. As in the goodness of God
they have no health issue despite they are only 6 mos gestation.

They are now 15 mos old, and they do not drink water or juice. I just make sure i gave them milk/formula before i fed them
solid. I gave milk before their next feeding, so i am assured they had liquid in their bodies. And after 30min - 1 hour, i fed them solid.

If they do not take their milk, i will smashed them some cooked potato/carrots and will pour 4-6 ounces of milk. I make their solid food runny enough to stick in the spoon. Just to be assured at least they have liquids.

Doctor says it is ok as long as they drink formula. And besides the baby food they are eating has water on it and even their
formula has water on the ingredients. So no worry.

There are times they do not even want to drink formula. So i make them tired by playing hide and seek and peekaboo then they
will get thirsty, then they will drink their milk. And they drink 8 ounces.

Just know your kid, his cues and work around with it. Just use your mother instinct power. laugh.gif
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trust Jehova God with all your heart. Never rely on your own understanding. Glory to Jehova God in the highest. In Jesus Name

Love endures all things. Love never fails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users