Photo

Does a baby needs a baby or nursery room?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 girl_philippines

girl_philippines
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ne

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:19 AM

Hi guys! I want to know if it's really important to have a baby or nursery room? We have 3 bedrooms. One is the masters, the other for my son, and the third room which is located upstairs is a guest room. We have a basement with 3 rooms but is not furnished. We were planning to have my son move upstairs so his room could be the baby's room but he is not ready to be in the guest room yet. He wants to be closer to us. So we don't really know where to put the baby. We are planning to move our bedroom upstairs and have our bedroom be the baby's room but I don't know how if it will work coz if the baby cries and I am upstairs I have to keep going up and down. I also don't want to have us spend money to get our basement furnished, it's not the right time. I was wondering what all Mommies do here in America. Do you have your baby sleep with you in your bedroom or does the baby have a separate room. Especially the newborn baby, I don't feel comfortable leaving a newborn baby alone in a room. When I had my son in the Philippines, we don't have a baby's room, he just sleeps with me or in a hammock or in his crib in my room.
Please share your inputs so I can have our house ready for the baby in June.
July 7, 2004 - Met Don in a chatroom
Dec. 25, 2005 - He came to Phils to meet me the first time
January 7, 2006 - Mailed I-129F to Nebraska Service Center.
January 27, 2006 - Received NOA1.
April 18, 2006 @1859 cst - NOA2 APPROVED!
July 15, 2006 - Packet 4 received
September 1, 2006-Medical
September 8, 2006 - Interview - APPROVED!
October 15, 2007 - Arrived in USA
November 4, 2006 --- WEDDING!!!
April 20, 2007 - Mailed AOS
April 30, 2007 - NOA - Receipt Notice
May 18, 2007 - Biometrics
July 26, 2007---GREEN CARD!(no interview)
April 13, 2009 - Mailed I-751 for Removal of Conditions

Visit Our Montage

Visit my blog Girl Talk
Visit my pregnancy diary videos My Pregnancy Diary

Don (Iowa-USA) Aimee (Visayas-Philippines)

#2 Paul Orr

Paul Orr
  • 1,316 posts
  • ve

Posted 09 February 2010 - 09:34 AM

Sorry to be the tough American but........
Get tough with the other son, have him move to the upstairs. Make it a special and great thing in his mind and not to appear as your poor child banished to the upstairs. Probably the most common thing here is once the new baby is 3 or 4 weeks old to put him/her in the other room (close by) and to allow the baby to sleep as long as it will on its own before going in to feed. Some people get carried away with waking the baby every couple hours for feeding. The goal is to have the child learn to sleep thru the night on its own so you both can get some rest. You are not doing the baby any favors by waking for feedings when it is happy and willing to sleep. After all, the baby will wake on its own when it is hungry. The feedings will grow farther and farther apart until you can (thank God) get some real sleep at night. No night lights either.

There, now I am the bad guy. We (the X and I) did this with both kids and were back to a reasonably normal life in short time with kids who don't need a drink in the middle of the night or require night lights to sleep (or any other of the annoying things that are the signs of parents who allow their kids to rule the home). Being a devoted parent is not the same as being a pushover. Ainee, are you reading this? laugh.gif tongue.gif

Edited by Paul Orr, 09 February 2010 - 09:36 AM.

See our pics at:

Our Time Line:
Started Relationship June 8th 2012
Met in person May 16-27 2014
File K-1 petition:

#3 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:27 AM

It depends on you I think. There is a heavy custom (some due to financials naturally) that Filipinas sleep many to a bed as far as kids go. My little daughter has slept with us for years but soon will move to her own. Yes it crimps personal time but it is a close bond that follows between momma, dad, and baby/young child.. Really its to each his own in this area. US doctors have said it is safe up tp 6yrs so you do what your heart feels like..

#4 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:22 PM

I've personally done both ways, my first kid had her nursery upstairs, while our room was downstairs, my wife was not comfortable to have the baby far from her, first kid rolleyes.gif , so I moved the crib to the master and for about 6 months she slept with us.

When we had a second kid, we were living in a much bigger house with all rooms at the same floor, so the baby stayed at her room.

Difference for the baby = none.

The only real difference is in the privacy for the couple, you get a baby that sleeps lightly and your intimacy will get a hit, thankfully my kids were all heavy sleepers. smile.gif

The real key though is your discipline, you want to put the baby on a schedule and it is very tempting to break it if the baby is only steps away. Things like, the baby wakes up hungry, don't jump right the way to feed him/her at the first little noise, unless you require for yourself very little sleep. tongue.gif

Cheers,

Carlos
"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#5 girl_philippines

girl_philippines
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • ne

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:42 PM

Thank you all guys for the advices and ideas. I think I might go with having a bassinet in our bedroom for a few weeks and then eventually putting the baby in his own room which probably will end up in my son's old room and he has to move. That's a good idea to have the baby get used to the dark and no night lights, we will do that. And also to have him if possible sleep thru the night so we can get a good night sleep too coz me and my hubby will both need that especially when I plan to go back to work after 8 weeks of delivery.
Thanks again ! smile.gif

Visit Our Montage

Visit my blog Girl Talk

#6 fendergirl

fendergirl

Rock & Roll

• Members
  • 5,023 posts
  • Interests:NOTHING
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca
  • Local Office:Manila PI

Posted 09 February 2010 - 05:44 PM

we have to bedroom apartment, 1 is for master bedroom and 1 is for music room for my husband, so we had planned to put the baby in our bedroom instead of putting all his music stuff in our living room which the baby needs as his/her playing space.. biggrin.gif When i was a baby i used to sleep besides my mom until my little brother arrive.. Husband and I love our first child in our bedroom besides us.. It depends on every couple tho, I know here in america they have to have a nursery room to put the baby. I don't know how they can handle that, cuz i can't maybe because i have grown seeing it happen all the time in our family.

#7 kbryan

kbryan
  • Banned
  • 1,762 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Chgo

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:09 PM

We have a larger place.....and plan to use one of the other bedrooms for the baby's room....it is right next door to our room so it is close.

#8 heatherette07

heatherette07
  • Members
  • 66 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ve
  • Local Office:Georgia

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have the same problem...our master bedroom is in the first floor and 2 bedroom is upstair...We decide to put the crib on our room for us to be easier in everything..Maybe when my daughte turn 3 she'll move in her own bedroom..but either way we are enjoying our time of her sleeping with us...because sooner i know she'll be the one who will insist not to sleep with her momma and poppa.... laugh.gif

Edited by heatherette07, 09 February 2010 - 06:33 PM.

#9 mom of twins

mom of twins
  • Members
  • 189 posts
  • te

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:33 PM

QUOTE (girl_philippines @ Feb 9 2010, 08:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi guys! I want to know if it's really important to have a baby or nursery room? We have 3 bedrooms. One is the masters, the other for my son, and the third room which is located upstairs is a guest room. We have a basement with 3 rooms but is not furnished. We were planning to have my son move upstairs so his room could be the baby's room but he is not ready to be in the guest room yet. He wants to be closer to us. So we don't really know where to put the baby. We are planning to move our bedroom upstairs and have our bedroom be the baby's room but I don't know how if it will work coz if the baby cries and I am upstairs I have to keep going up and down. I also don't want to have us spend money to get our basement furnished, it's not the right time. I was wondering what all Mommies do here in America. Do you have your baby sleep with you in your bedroom or does the baby have a separate room. Especially the newborn baby, I don't feel comfortable leaving a newborn baby alone in a room. When I had my son in the Philippines, we don't have a baby's room, he just sleeps with me or in a hammock or in his crib in my room.
Please share your inputs so I can have our house ready for the baby in June.

I got twin toddlers. They sleep in our bedroom for 4 months. I just put them in the infant swinging automatically and with music.
I make sure that the room is near the kitchen where i can easily run and fix their milk. They need to be fed every 2 hours, so waking up at night is really necessary. Then as they age, their feeding will get better.

When their feeding went to 4 hours gap, we already put them in a separate room just next to our bedroom. I have baby monitor that i can even hear their breathing. Honestly, during those time, i do not want to sleep at night, i just take a light sleep and just make up in the daytime when they took their nap.

Edited by mom of twins, 18 February 2010 - 10:45 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trust Jehova God with all your heart. Never rely on your own understanding. Glory to Jehova God in the highest. In Jesus Name

Love endures all things. Love never fails.

#10 way-to-go

way-to-go
  • 1,217 posts
  • lo
  • Local Office:Portland Office

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:11 PM

We have his big crib, chest of drawers and changing table in our bedroom. But our baby slept with us in our bed until he was 4 months because he wont sleep in his own crib. Hubby and I wanted a nursery room for the baby but the other bedroom was occupied by my hubby's relative that was suppose to move out before I got here in the states. LOL. You know the dynamics of borders/freeloaders, it is next to impossible to boot them out. lol. When he finally did moved out, (it took a lot of persuasion from my hubby), that's when we moved all the baby's stuff. By that time, our baby was already 7 months old and it took less than a week for him to get used to being alone. Prior to moving him to his own room he slept in his portable crib in our room when he was 4 months. The transition to sleeping alone wasn't that abrupt. Our baby is now 10 months old and loves being left alone in his room during bedtime. Hubby and baby gets enough sleep and our room doesn't look cluttered and cramped with all the baby's furniture.

Personally, hubby and I prefer that our baby sleeps in his own room. If the baby is fussy I can just tend to him without disturbing my hubby's sleep. It is up to you and your hubby whatever you decide on.

Edited by Donny'sPrincess, 09 February 2010 - 07:12 PM.

#11 laradee

laradee
  • Members
  • 216 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Colorado

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

We have our baby sleep in our bedroom since he was born. Before our baby was born hubby told me that our baby should be in the other room coz he couldn't stand if the baby wakes up crying but I told him "no way" I won't be comfortable if the baby sleeps by himself in the other room. I told him I would sleep with the baby in the other room instead . Ha,ha,... he couldn't stand sleeping by himself without me. So, we have the baby sleep in his bassinnet when he was born close to my bedside which made it so easy to get up and feed him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Then after a month and until now we have his crib in our bedroom. I am just too paranoid not to have the baby in our bedroom. Even my baby sleeps in our bedroom I still wake up every now and then at night just to check on him to make sure he is ok and breathing. I am so scared of Sudden Infant Death Syndrom (SIDS) that's why I don't want our baby sleep by himself in the other room. I'm just lucky that my baby is good at sleeping at night even when he was born. I only wake up once or twice to feed him and then he would go back to sleep with the lights off. He is 7 mos old now and he sleeps pretty good throughout the night most of the time.

Edited by laradee, 09 February 2010 - 07:34 PM.

I-751 Removing Condition Timeline

June 17, 2009 ------- Mailed I-751 package to CSC.
June 19, 2009 ------- Packaged delivered/received by CSC.
June 26, 2009 ------- Received NOA in the mail (1 year extension of GC)
Aug 22, 2009 ------- Received Biometric Schedule in the mail.
Sep 01, 2009 ------- Biometric at 3:00 pm
Sep 03, 2009 ------- Touched
Sep 10, 2009 ------- Touched
Sep 11, 2009 ------- Touched
Oct 03, 2009 ------- Received email from Cri89 "Card Production Ordered Oct 2"
Oct 06, 2009 ------- Received approval from the mail.
Oct 09, 2009 ------- 10 year Green Card Received. God is great all the time!!!!

N-400 Timeline

April 30, 2010 ------- Mailed N-400 package.
May 21, 2010 ------- NOA 1 received.
June 17, 2010 ------- NOA 2 (Biometrics Notification received)
June 30, 2010 ------- Biometrics done.
July 8, 2010 ------- Case transferred to local office for interview schedule.
July 10, 2010 ------- Notice of Action received in the mail. Initial interview August 12, 2010.
Aug 12, 2010 ------- Interview Passed. Thank God for everything!
Aug 28, 2010 ------- Oath Ceremony, Finally done with immigration papers. Thank You Heavenly Father

Visit My Blog

#12 mom of twins

mom of twins
  • Members
  • 189 posts
  • te

Posted 09 February 2010 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (laradee @ Feb 9 2010, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We have our baby sleep in our bedroom since he was born. Before our baby was born hubby told me that our baby should be in the other room coz he couldn't stand if the baby wakes up crying but I told him "no way" I won't be comfortable if the baby sleeps by himself in the other room. I told him I would sleep with the baby in the other room instead . Ha,ha,... he couldn't stand sleeping by himself without me. So, we have the baby sleep in his bassinnet when he was born close to my bedside which made it so easy to get up and feed him when he wakes up in the middle of the night. Then after a month and until now we have his crib in our bedroom. I am just too paranoid not to have the baby in our bedroom. Even my baby sleeps in our bedroom I still wake up every now and then at night just to check on him to make sure he is ok and breathing. I am so scared of Sudden Infant Death Syndrom (SIDS) that's why I don't want our baby sleep by himself in the other room. I'm just lucky that my baby is good at sleeping at night even when he was born. I only wake up once or twice to feed him and then he would go back to sleep with the lights off. He is 7 mos old now and he sleeps pretty good throughout the night most of the time.

Edited by mom of twins, 18 February 2010 - 10:46 AM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Trust Jehova God with all your heart. Never rely on your own understanding. Glory to Jehova God in the highest. In Jesus Name

Love endures all things. Love never fails.

#13 girl_philippines

girl_philippines
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • ne

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:59 PM

Thanks Mommies for your inputs! I would be more comfortable having the baby in our bedroom than have him left alone in his own room. But my hubby thinks it's important for him to get used to sleeping on his own. So I guess we will settle this issue one way or another. smile.gif

Visit Our Montage

Visit my blog Girl Talk

#14 kbryan

kbryan
  • Banned
  • 1,762 posts
  • ca

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:30 PM

Hey....I am a Papa! tongue.gif Well a future Papa.

Edited by kbryan, 09 February 2010 - 11:30 PM.

#15 Angel

Angel
  • 487 posts
  • lo

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:04 AM

Before my son was born, we made a Nursery room, I got everything I read from the book, thinking he needs it all. My first one so I want everything to be perfect but you know what? When he was born, most of the things that I got, he did not use it. I did not let him sleep in his Nursery, he sleeps with us until now. He is 3 years old now but I love to see him sleeping with us, I can't sleep well if I put him in his bedroom. So just get things that are really necessary and don't worry about the bedroom, just get a bassinet...Btw, Congratulations!

#16 denterprise

denterprise
  • Moderators
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:Basketball, tennis, traveling
  • te
  • Local Office:Orlando

Posted 10 February 2010 - 01:31 AM

QUOTE (Angel @ Feb 9 2010, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Before my son was born, we made a Nursery room, I got everything I read from the book, thinking he needs it all. My first one so I want everything to be perfect but you know what? When he was born, most of the things that I got, he did not use it. I did not let him sleep in his Nursery, he sleeps with us until now. He is 3 years old now but I love to see him sleeping with us, I can't sleep well if I put him in his bedroom. So just get things that are really necessary and don't worry about the bedroom, just get a bassinet...Btw, Congratulations!

We did the same as Angel and would not change a thing. We had a great time fixing up the nursery in preparation for my son's birth but he has not spent much time in it since he was born. He is 21 months old now and still sleeps with us. For safety reasons use a bassinet when your baby is very small.

I don't think we will have any more, so we plan to get the most out of this experience. There is nothing like when our little man snuggles up beside us and we fall asleep together. Enjoy this experience the way you want and not the way some so called expert may recommend. Only you know what works best for your family and your life style. Congratulation and God bless.
God is Good all the time

Dave

#17 Paul Orr

Paul Orr
  • 1,316 posts
  • ve

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:20 AM

Also forgot to mention........Don't be too quiet around the baby when it is sleeping coz then you will have an easily disturbed sleeper. Just use the usual sound levels and you will end up with a kid who sleeps thru most normal disturbances.

Of course everyone has to decide how they will handle the sleeping and room arrangements........but consider a couple other factors that go into the equation.
1. What happens when the baby needs to sleep at someone else's house, like babysitter or grandparents, when the child will only sleep WITH YOU in your own bed?
2. What about naps at the day care?
The point is that a small amount of independent self-assuredness is good for a baby....at least in America where the baby won't be with extended family for all its care like in PI.

This is a new world girls, please check your pre-existing cultural norms and expectations at the customs counter when entering the USA.

Edited by Paul Orr, 10 February 2010 - 04:30 AM.

See our pics at:

Our Time Line:
Started Relationship June 8th 2012
Met in person May 16-27 2014
File K-1 petition:

#18 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 10 February 2010 - 05:26 AM

I think that is applied to some babies, we did not have the issues you mention here and she slept with us and still does for a short while more.. She sleeps in her bed when she wants to as well.

QUOTE (Paul Orr @ Feb 9 2010, 10:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Also forgot to mention........Don't be too quiet around the baby when it is sleeping coz then you will have an easily disturbed sleeper. Just use the usual sound levels and you will end up with a kid who sleeps thru most normal disturbances.

Of course everyone has to decide how they will handle the sleeping and room arrangements........but consider a couple other factors that go into the equation.
1. What happens when the baby needs to sleep at someone else's house, like babysitter or grandparents, when the child will only sleep WITH YOU in your own bed?
2. What about naps at the day care?
The point is that a small amount of independent self-assuredness is good for a baby....at least in America where the baby won't be with extended family for all its care like in PI.

This is a new world girls, please check your pre-existing cultural norms and expectations at the customs counter when entering the USA.

#19 girl_philippines

girl_philippines
  • Members
  • 109 posts
  • ne

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE (kbryan @ Feb 9 2010, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey....I am a Papa! tongue.gif Well a future Papa.

laugh.gif My bad! I forgot to say thank you to all the Papa's and future Papa's! Thanks! biggrin.gif

Visit Our Montage

Visit my blog Girl Talk

#20 kbryan

kbryan
  • Banned
  • 1,762 posts
  • ca

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:06 PM

When we do actually have a child..we will probably have him/her in a bassinet next to our bed for the first few months then put him/her in the crib in another Bedroom to get used to sleeping without us. I would be leary of having them in the bed with us....we don't move around alot but I wouldn't want to take that chance, of one of us rolling on top of him/her. Maybe for naps or something but not overnight or for prolonged periods, I would be afraid I would squish him/her.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users