• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:06 AM

Which also disables 3rd party internet explorer spell checkers since you can't highlight text.

Turns me into the old hillbilly I was back in the Webster days.

JC

#2 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 01:37 AM

Which also disables 3rd party internet explorer spell checkers since you can't highlight text.

JC

I have found that forums usually work best with Google Chrome or Firefox and usually have many issues when using any version of Internet Explorer. I am using Google Chrome and it has built in spell checker which underlines the word in red if spelled incorrectly and then a right click on the misspelled word will bring up choices of correct spellings. Also Chrome will allow copy and paste, so I would suggest you and others try it since IE is probably not used to test forums or forum skins by the manufacturers of either and will therefore have many issues.

BTW Google Chrome is also much faster too.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#3 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:23 AM

I have found that forums usually work best with Google Chrome or Firefox and usually have many issues when using any version of Internet Explorer. I am using Google Chrome and it has built in spell checker which underlines the word in red if spelled incorrectly and then a right click on the misspelled word will bring up choices of correct spellings. Also Chrome will allow copy and paste, so I would suggest you and others try it since IE is probably not used to test forums or forum skins by the manufacturers of either and will therefore have many issues.

BTW Google Chrome is also much faster too.

I'm not sure but I think this is a setting in the forum software? IE spell has always worked in the past in this forum and continues to work everywhere else on the web. I have 4 win 7 computers and this feature appears to be disabled in the forum as it's inop on all my machines and not all are running IE9. I have tried Chrome and yes it has some good features (the spell checker) but it also has some very bad ones. Particularly the ability to automatically and properly size pages. To my knowlege google considers Chrome to be a complete and mature browser and is no longer improving it. IE9 has features far and beyond anything firefox or google have developed. The last time I tried firefox it didn't import my bookmarks properly so they were just, unavailable. Wasn't happy.Not sure why Microsoft won't integrate a spell checker with their browser.

JC

#4 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:37 AM

copy and paste works fine for me. I use IE 8. I also use ieSpell. Anyone else not able to copy and paste ??

#5 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,243 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:16 AM

JC

Opera also has cut/copy & paste functional. Built in spellchecker works fine as well.

I haven't tried Explorer here as that is my last chance browser for websites that don't work with anything else :)

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#6 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:39 PM

Well it must be ie9 then. You would think a company as big as microsoft could do better.

JC

Edit: I am pretty active on another forum powered by V bulletin and all features work just fine there. This is why I thought it was related to this site only.

Edited by John C, 15 April 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#7 Gregg

Gregg
  • 1,534 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

My (kurrent) vershun of Firefox werks well with cut and paste and spelchekker too. ;)
03/22/08 Met on CB
09/12/08 Met in person
09/15/08 Engaged
10/16/08 Annulment filed
09/16/09 2nd trip
01/26/11 Annulment granted finally!

........K1 TIME LINE......

01/29/11 K-1 packet mailed to Dallas TX
02/05/11 Package delivered
02/14/11 Received NOA1
05/20/11 Received NAO2 APPROVED!
05/27/11 Received case #
06/15/11 Medical - Sputum cultures ordered - result positive
07/13/11 TB treatment started
09/11/11 3rd trip to Philippines
01/14/12 TB treatment at Saint Luke's Completed
02/10/12 Results of final sputum culture negative
02/14/12 Re-medical
02/26/12 Medical clearance obtained
03/27/12 Embassy interview - Approved!
04/12/12 Visa Received!! - What a great day!!
04/24/12 CFO stickers obtained
04/27/12 Arrive at O'Hare at 8:40 AM via Japan Airlines
05/10/12 Wedded Bilss!

#8 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:00 PM

My (kurrent) vershun of Firefox werks well with cut and paste and spelchekker too. ;)

It's only the reply box I'm typing in now. I can copy from the threads as expected. Here's my right click options right now as I respond to this post:

Attached File  Right Click Menu.jpg   18.03KB   10 downloads

As I said before it's only WOF. I post frequently in another forum unrelated to the Phils and everything works just fine. It must be an issue between IE9 and the specific program used here. Not really a big deal but a little strange and unexpected as IE spell has been my best friend for years of using internet explorer.

JC

#9 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:27 AM

It's only the reply box I'm typing in now. I can copy from the threads as expected. Here's my right click options right now as I respond to this post:

Attached File  Right Click Menu.jpg   18.03KB   10 downloads

As I said before it's only WOF. I post frequently in another forum unrelated to the Phils and everything works just fine. It must be an issue between IE9 and the specific program used here. Not really a big deal but a little strange and unexpected as IE spell has been my best friend for years of using internet explorer.

JC

John I get the same thing as you if I don't Highlight what I want to copy and paste but if I highlight it then right click I get the copy and paste option.

#10 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,243 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:14 AM

John I get the same thing as you if I don't Highlight what I want to copy and paste but if I highlight it then right click I get the copy and paste option.

That actually makes sense ... if there is nothing to copy (nothing selected) then cut and copy are not options you can use. Opera does the same. Never noticed that before.

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#11 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yeah you're right Tim. When I do that it's only my IE spell that's still disabled. It must be a browser or privacy setting because strangely if I use in private browsing where no cookies are involved IE spell works.

Edit: what I reported above is here on my office PC. When I go to my personal PC the text selection is disabled even though the "select all" button appears active. This is why I thought copy and paste were disabled because I was unable to select text on that PC prior to starting this thread but I can here, just not spell check.. I'm not sure what the deal is. Maybe I'll just use inprivate browsing.

Edited by John C, 16 April 2012 - 07:33 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users