12 replies to this topic

#1 Vanessagirl

Vanessagirl
  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • lo

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:50 AM

Hi Everyone!

I have been looking for a US Tourist Visa topic on here but seems that every topics that are posted here are usually about fiancee or spousal visa.. So, i hope i can find someone who can answer my Questions.. I am Vanessa and i am from Cagayan de oro city, I have a boyfriend living in the States and he is not able to come here in the Philippines to visit me so he wanted me to do a research how to get a visa aside from the easiest visa such as fiancee or spousal Visa.. I have suggested to him a tourist Visa which i hope will work out.. So i wanna know how much does it cost over all to get a Tourist Visa in the US, where should i apply for a US Tourist Visa? do i have to fly from my province to Manila just to reach the US Embassy that is based in Manila? Are there any way that makes me have the assurance by applying as a tourist? are there any preparations that would make me help to have the approval from the US Consul? Or are there easiest way to get in the US by using other way aside from Tourist Visa?

I HOPE THAT YOU COULD HELP ME FOR THIS AS I DONT HAVE MUCH IDEA WHEN IT COMES TO THIS.. I HAVE MADE SOME RESEARCH BUT IT SEEMS THAT IT IS NOT ENOUGH.. I AM HOPING I COULD FIND MY ANSWERS HERE.. Thank you and God bless.

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,247 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 30 August 2011 - 04:49 AM

You can start with the US Embassy in Manila, B1/B2 Visa page

The B visas are the visitor visas for US. Given that your purpose is to visit your BF, expect a denial, but it is always worth a try :)

Is your BF able to travel to another SE Asia country or possibly Central America & the Carribean? If he is able to travel to a country with minimal restrictions on your entry, then you can get together in a 3rd country to satisfy the "Met in person within the most recent 2 years" requirement for the fiance visa.

If he is unable to travel due to lack of passport, then you do have a problem as the US Territories that do not require a US citizen to use a passport for entry now refer non-citizens to the USCIS.gov website for visa information.

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,854 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 30 August 2011 - 01:58 PM

I have a boyfriend living in the States and he is not able to come here in the Philippines to visit me so he wanted me to do a research how to get a visa aside from the easiest visa such as fiancee or spousal Visa.

Since there is a fair chance that you will not be able to get the visitor/tourist visa it would be helpful if you stated why your boyfriend can not come there to the Philippines to visit you. There are various solutions based on various reasons.

For instance, if he is unable to fly for an extended period it may be possible for the two of you to meet in a third country such as Costa Rica (for a list see: http://en.wikipedia....ippine_citizens ). If he is unable to come see you because he is financially incapable than you might want to consider looking elsewhere as he will not be financially capable of marrying you either (hard truth but nevertheless).

If he is medically incapable of coming to visit and see you than you can still get a K-1 visa but (the two of) you have to be able to show that he is medically incapable of going to see you (doctor's note), that you can't come to see him (visa denial) AND the two of you can not meet in a third country (doctor's note that he can not travel). Of course, the wisdom of continuing such a relationship without ever having met in person is debatable, but all I am saying here is that it is possible.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#4 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 30 August 2011 - 02:23 PM

Vanessa,

Most guys who say they are "not able" to travel to the Philippines are simply looking for an easy way to have their Filipina friends come to the U.S. Aside from the possibility of medical reasons keeping your friend from coming to the Philippines, you should consider the good possibility that his reluctance is indicative of a character flaw on his part. If you manage to get to the U.S on a visitor visa, you would then be dependent on this new friend to marry you, and to spend at least $1,500 (U.S. dollars) to adjust your status to that of a legal immigrant.

I apologize for seeming cynical, but I would recommend you look closely at why your internet friend can't come to your part of the world, and maybe consider finding someone else who can visit you.

--Ray B

Hi Everyone!

I have been looking for a US Tourist Visa topic on here but seems that every topics that are posted here are usually about fiancee or spousal visa.. So, i hope i can find someone who can answer my Questions.. I am Vanessa and i am from Cagayan de oro city, I have a boyfriend living in the States and he is not able to come here in the Philippines to visit me so he wanted me to do a research how to get a visa aside from the easiest visa such as fiancee or spousal Visa.. I have suggested to him a tourist Visa which i hope will work out.. So i wanna know how much does it cost over all to get a Tourist Visa in the US, where should i apply for a US Tourist Visa? do i have to fly from my province to Manila just to reach the US Embassy that is based in Manila? Are there any way that makes me have the assurance by applying as a tourist? are there any preparations that would make me help to have the approval from the US Consul? Or are there easiest way to get in the US by using other way aside from Tourist Visa?

I HOPE THAT YOU COULD HELP ME FOR THIS AS I DONT HAVE MUCH IDEA WHEN IT COMES TO THIS.. I HAVE MADE SOME RESEARCH BUT IT SEEMS THAT IT IS NOT ENOUGH.. I AM HOPING I COULD FIND MY ANSWERS HERE.. Thank you and God bless.

#5 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 30 August 2011 - 03:12 PM

I have to side with Ray as this is usually a red flag, most if not all here went at least once to the Phils to see our girls and families there and if I am moving my Pinay all the way here thats the least I can do for her (Make the trip, see the family, absorb the culture and meet K1 obligations from my view).. The cost is going to be the same either way and he gets to be in the Philippines seeing new sights, experiencing new culture, etc - pretty cool stuff.. And lets not forget - he gets to meet his Filipina face to face, priceless..

Vanessa,

Most guys who say they are "not able" to travel to the Philippines are simply looking for an easy way to have their Filipina friends come to the U.S. Aside from the possibility of medical reasons keeping your friend from coming to the Philippines, you should consider the good possibility that his reluctance is indicative of a character flaw on his part. If you manage to get to the U.S on a visitor visa, you would then be dependent on this new friend to marry you, and to spend at least $1,500 (U.S. dollars) to adjust your status to that of a legal immigrant.

I apologize for seeming cynical, but I would recommend you look closely at why your internet friend can't come to your part of the world, and maybe consider finding someone else who can visit you.

--Ray B

#6 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 31 August 2011 - 02:49 AM

Hi Everyone!

In case the others aren't completely clear. Your "boyfriend" is either ill informed about the process or not serious about you. Most of us who are both informed and serious have no problem to come there and meet you. We understand this is the first price of admission and it's non refundable. If he's not informed then you have a chance to inform him. It is entirely possible he is just naive at this point. But since it's you who suggested the tourist visa it may be you who is not informed and he who is not ready to commit to you. If you cannot get him to understand it's his move, at his expense (100%), then move on. If it helps, have him join WOF and read this thread.

JC

#7 Bluerose001

Bluerose001
  • Members
  • 62 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • mi
  • Local Office:Denver, CO

Posted 05 September 2011 - 04:41 AM

I agree to what the gentlemen here posted.

I am one of the few Filipinas who easily breezed thru the B2 interview process and was granted a 10 year multiple entry visa. I used and read the same link that Fritz posted.

My then bf (now husband) first invited me to visit him in the US before he visited me as he doesnít have a passport. I already got a passport but I havenít been anywhere abroad at that time, so I got excited but my mother cautioned me about going to US alone and said that if heís intentions are really pure, he will go meet me and my parents first, which
he did.

A few weeks after he visited me, we decided that I apply for a tourist visa as it would be best to first see and be accustomed to US before finally migrating here.

While 90% of the people who were interviewed that day were denied of the tourist visa, I was lucky to be granted one.

Goodluck!
AOS Timeline
-----------------------------------

Dec 8' 09 -Mailed AOS Package to Chicago thru USPS
Dec 11' 09 - Delivered to and received by USCIS Chicago
Dec 16' 09 - NOA1 for AOS/EAD/AP (mail received Dec 22)
Dec 17' 09 - Check cashed by USCIS
Dec 22 '09 - AP approved (mail received Dec 28)
Dec 23 '09 - Biometrics scheduled for Jan 20, 2010 (mail received Dec 31 '09)
Jan 20 '10 - Biometrics
Jan 21 '10 - EAD card ordered for production
Jan 30 '10 - Received EAD card
Feb 27 '10 - Retake biometrics (fingerprint)
March 5 '10 - Received interview appointment for April 9 at Centennial, CO
April 9' 10 - Interview (AOS Approved!)
April 14 ' 10 - Received Welcome to America letter
April 22 '10 - Received GC in mail

K-1 Visa Timeline
------------------------------------

Feb 13 '09 - Submitted I-129 (California Service Center)
Feb 18' 09 - NOA1
March 27 ' 09 - NOA2
April 22 '09 - Received USEM letter dated April 16
April 28-29 '09 - Passed Medical Exam
May 27 '09 - Attended CFO Seminar @ St. Mary's
June 26 '09 - Passed Visa Interview
July 2 '09 - Received Visa from Air21
Sept 18 '09 - Flew to CO to be with my Honey (Salt Lake City POE)
Nov 7 '09 - Wedding Day

#8 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:53 AM

I agree to what the gentlemen here posted.

I am one of the few Filipinas who easily breezed thru the B2 interview process and was granted a 10 year multiple entry visa. I used and read the same link that Fritz posted.

My then bf (now husband) first invited me to visit him in the US before he visited me as he doesn't have a passport. I already got a passport but I haven't been anywhere abroad at that time, so I got excited but my mother cautioned me about going to US alone and said that if he's intentions are really pure, he will go meet me and my parents first, which
he did.

A few weeks after he visited me, we decided that I apply for a tourist visa as it would be best to first see and be accustomed to US before finally migrating here.

While 90% of the people who were interviewed that day were denied of the tourist visa, I was lucky to be granted one.

Goodluck!

What was it that differentiated you from the other 90% in your opinion? It couldn't just be "luck" as you say. It seems unlikely the interviewer just decided arbitrarily that you were "ok" and the others weren't. They must be able to back up their decisions upon review with something other than they just felt like giving you a visa. At least we can hope that's the case. What was the financial standing of yourself and your family upon being granted the visa? Also it's good to hear your hubby understood your mom's point and made the move of faith to come there first. Obviously he was serious :)

JC

#9 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 05 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

The criteria used to approve visitor visas is not particularly random and some generalizations can easily be made if you have come into contact with successful applicants over a period of time.

From what I have seen, applicants whose documented background seems too humble and appearance at the interview are too eager may be the worst candidates. On the other hand, applicants whose school, family and personal assets stand out as "blue ribbon" can almost expect approvals. In other words, it almost seems that there is a bias leaning in favor of high-class Filipinos.

The major exception to the above might be older and well-established Filipinos, i.e., parents of U.S. citizens, especially with political or government background.

--Ray B

What was it that differentiated you from the other 90% in your opinion? It couldn't just be "luck" as you say. It seems unlikely the interviewer just decided arbitrarily that you were "ok" and the others weren't. They must be able to back up their decisions upon review with something other than they just felt like giving you a visa. At least we can hope that's the case. What was the financial standing of yourself and your family upon being granted the visa? Also it's good to hear your hubby understood your mom's point and made the move of faith to come there first. Obviously he was serious :)

JC

#10 John C

John C
  • 1,668 posts
  • ca

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:34 PM

The criteria used to approve visitor visas is not particularly random and some generalizations can easily be made if you have come into contact with successful applicants over a period of time.

From what I have seen, applicants whose documented background seems too humble and appearance at the interview are too eager may be the worst candidates. On the other hand, applicants whose school, family and personal assets stand out as "blue ribbon" can almost expect approvals. In other words, it almost seems that there is a bias leaning in favor of high-class Filipinos.

The major exception to the above might be older and well-established Filipinos, i.e., parents of U.S. citizens, especially with political or government background.

--Ray B

That was pretty much my understanding Ray. I was curious how the poster fit this model or is even cognizant of it based on her indication that she believed luck was a factor in her visa being granted. I am interested to hear from her why she believes she got a visa and not the majority there.

I for one would like to believe luck is not an ingredient in getting a visa to come to America.

JC

#11 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:19 PM

Agree with JC here - we all went to the Phils to see our gals, some more than others, some still going to visit homes and family there as often as possible.. What I am getting at is that we made a committment to go the distance to get out gals here and visiting is a requirement, along the way many of us fell in love with the Philippines as well.. If it were not for needing to earn a living here we would most likely be there haha. If your guy cannot/will not make the effort please move on as he may not be worth investing your time or emotions on.. My worthless 2 cents as usual..

In case the others aren't completely clear. Your "boyfriend" is either ill informed about the process or not serious about you. Most of us who are both informed and serious have no problem to come there and meet you. We understand this is the first price of admission and it's non refundable. If he's not informed then you have a chance to inform him. It is entirely possible he is just naive at this point. But since it's you who suggested the tourist visa it may be you who is not informed and he who is not ready to commit to you. If you cannot get him to understand it's his move, at his expense (100%), then move on. If it helps, have him join WOF and read this thread.

JC

#12 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:24 PM

Agree with JC here - we all went to the Phils to see our gals, some more than others, some still going to visit homes and family there as often as possible.. What I am getting at is that we made a committment to go the distance to get out gals here and visiting is a requirement, along the way many of us fell in love with the Philippines as well.. If it were not for needing to earn a living here we would most likely be there haha. If your guy cannot/will not make the effort please move on as he may not be worth investing your time or emotions on.. My worthless 2 cents as usual..

thumbs up!

#13 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,854 posts
  • lo

Posted 06 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Much like getting a bank loan. The less you appear to need it, the higher the chances of getting it.

Edited by MrkGrismer, 06 September 2011 - 01:54 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users