11 replies to this topic

#1 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 02 February 2017 - 07:19 PM

Hello my WOF family, please enlighten me i don't know what to do. First of all, we have plan to visit Philippines some times in July this year. But couple day's been so worried about everything especially about deportation? I am only a green card holder and don't have plan to take my naturalization or citizenship yet but may be later I will. I heard about people got deported of their re-entry and that makes me worried about and i don't want it happen to me. I knows Philippines is not on the list but they said they will add more country on the list later. We don't booked for a flight yet. My question is, do you think i should be fine about my re-entry later or what is the best thing to do? Please any advice is much higly appreciated it. Thank you very much.

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,237 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

The way that the targeted countries have been selected so far would indicate that Philippines won't be added to the list. The focus of President Trump's ban on entry appears to be majority Muslim countries with active terrorist groups and minimal trade ties with US.

The Department of Homeland Security has stated that Green Card holders from listed countries will be allowed to reenter US. There is still some confusion due to immigration officers not receiving training on this policy prior to it going into effect. It should be clear by the beginning of March whether or not it is safe for green card holders and other long term visa holders from listed countries to travel outside US without fear of being barred from reentry.

There is a lot of confusion still, but you should be okay to travel this summer.

The adventures continue
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,836 posts
  • lo

Posted 03 February 2017 - 02:04 PM

Please see: https://www.cbp.gov/...y-united-states

Note:

Does this Executive Order apply to green card holders from one of the seven countries listed?

Under the recent guidance from the White House, we will continue to ensure that lawful permanent residents are processed through our borders efficiently.  Under that guidance, the Executive Order issued January 27, 2017, does not apply to their entry to the United States.  U.S. Customs and Border Protection will continue to execute its mission to protect the homeland in its processing of all individuals at ports of entry.

Will nationals of restricted countries with valid green cards (LPRs) be allowed to return to the United States?

Under the recent guidance from the White House, CBP will continue to ensure that LPRs are processed through our borders efficiently. Under that guidance, the Executive Order entitled "Protecting the Nation from Foreign Terrorist Entry into the United States" does not apply to LPRs’ entry to the United States. Prior to this guidance, and as of February 1, 2017, CBP processed 1,610 waivers for LPRs to re-enter the United States.

How many Lawful Permanent Residents have not been allowed to enter pursuant to the Exception to the Executive Order?

Two. One, who was entered into proceedings based on a criminal record. Another individual chose to return to Canada and withdrew his request for entry.

Philippines is not currently one of the listed countries, but may become one of the listed countries if (and only if) it is recommended as such after the study is concluded, or something happens to expedite its listing. Since Philippines is not generally considered an exporter of terrorism it is unlikely to be listed. Even if it were to be listed guidance and the past week's history suggested that Philippine nationals who hold green cards would continue to be largely unaffected.

Edited by MrkGrismer, 03 February 2017 - 02:05 PM.
Typo

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#4 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

Thank you Fritz and Mark for the reply, I appreciated it!

#5 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 12:54 PM

In this often crazy world and the uncertainty of what might happen in the future, I would think it might be best to become a US citizen as quickly as possible but the below sort of answers the question, it is business as usual for Filipinos, yet I think we all should realize that should a group of Filipinos or single Filipino do a serious attack, all that might change.

US Embassy still issuing visas to Filipinos
MANILA, Philippines (Philippine News Agency) -- The United States Embassy in Manila is not implementing stricter measures in issuing visas for Filipinos who wish to enter the US.

Molly Koschina, US Embassy press attaché, said Filipinos are not among those included in an executive order signed by US President Donald Trump.

"The US Embassy in the Philippines has not changed visa processing or visa requirements. Filipinos are still very much welcome to the United States," Koscina said in a chance interview.

She said that under the Executive Order on Protecting the Nation from Terrorist Attacks by Foreign Nationals, signed by US President Trump on January 27, only visa issuances to nationals of Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen have been suspended.

“This executive order does not restrict the travel of dual nationals, so long as they hold the passport of an unrestricted country and possess a valid US visa,” she pointed out. 

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#6 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 55 posts
  • Visa type:IR-1

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

My wife is greatly concerned about this because we want to take a weekend trip to Niagara Falls soon. She was still believing all of the rumors that she had been seeing on FB and other places that people were posting about things that supposedly have happened to others that they know. Then the other day, she found this article from ABS-CBN:

http://news.abs-cbn....s-us-state-dept

PH not a 'country of concern,' says US State Dep't
Ron Gagalac, ABS-CBN News

Posted at Feb 02 2017 08:06 PM | Updated as of Feb 02 2017 09:15 PM

The US State Department today clarified that the Philippines has not been marked by US authorities as a "country of concern," which means Filipinos can continue their travels to and from the US, or benefit from residing and working in the United States. 

Last week, US President Donald Trump signed an executive order denying US entry to citizens of seven countries, namely, Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen. 

The order also covers everyone with a visa from these countries, including "green card" holders who left the US and plans to come back. They will undergo scrutiny and might be prohibited from re-entering the US.

US State Department deputy spokesperson Mark Toner said the Philippines is not part of the "countries of concern" they are looking into or would be included further on their list as of this time, allaying fears that US authorities might conduct stringent measures against Filipinos entering the US.

"The Philippines was not among those countries that was labeled of concern so I would say that Philippines, Filipinos both in the United States and in Philippines themselves, should by all means, we welcome them to the United States," Toner said in a news conference.

"Speaking more broadly about the executive order signed last week, obviously all of you know that the Philippines was not one of the countries where a pause was initiated with regards to visas and with regards to refugees," he added.

Toner, however, was speaking in terms of those who have legal resident status and other visa holders who wish to travel to US.

American authorities, under new president Trump, have been under strict orders to deport illegals and those who have criminal records.

"This is a decision that the president took in the national interest of the State. He has said very clearly that his first priority is to protect American lives and American citizens, and so he wanted us to conduct a review on some of the processes by which people travel into the United States," he said.

While the US government has no issues against the Philippines, Toner advised all who wish to travel to the US, for whatever reason, to make sure that they will have legal status in the US. 

"I recommend Filipinos who wish to travel to the United States, (they) should consult with the embassy of Manila," Toner said.

HUMAN RIGHTS

The only continuing concern that the US has with the Philippines even under President Trump, Toner said, are reports of human rights violations and alleged extra-judicial killings in President Rodrigo Duterte’s war on drugs.

"We will sometimes have concerns, certainly about human rights, it's one of those concerns, but we also believe we have relationships where we can talk about some of these areas of concern. At the same time that we pursue a very productive and forward-looking bilateral relationship, we want to make this relationship even stronger," Toner said. 

“It’s one of our core relationships certainly in Asia, but even beyond that, it is a relationship that is defined by many thousands of Filipino-Americans who have made home in our country but remained culturally tied to the Philippines but it's also across many sectors - security, economic, political."

The US State Department emphasized that the US-Philippine alliance is a relationship that the Americans value.

"We will continue to work productively with the Philippines where we can. I can say that the willingness of the United States to work constructively with the Philippines remains." he said. 

According to the data of the US Embassy in Washington DC, which was sourced out from the US Department of Homeland Security, out of 3-4 million Filipinos in US, there are around 310,000 illegal Filipino immigrants. According to the Philippine embassy, these illegal immigrants are mostly in the states of Hawaii and Florida.

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

Keepers of the Light. Healers of the Night. http://www.oh-1dmat.org/

#7 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 04 February 2017 - 11:14 PM

Now that all the details have been worked out, green card holders will be okay as long as they do not have any criminal record or anything in their background which might show them to be an enemy of the US. So my opinion is to make sure your facebook pages or emails do not have anything in them that can be used against you. Below is on the Homeland Security page  
Statement By Secretary John Kelly On The Entry Of Lawful Permanent Residents Into The United States
Release Date: 
January 29, 2017

For Immediate Release
Office of the Press Secretary

WASHINGTON – In applying the provisions of the president's executive order, I hereby deem the entry of lawful permanent residents to be in the national interest.

Accordingly, absent the receipt of significant derogatory information indicating a serious threat to public safety and welfare, lawful permanent resident status will be a dispositive factor in our case-by-case determinations.

Also, for now a Temporary Restraining Order has been issued against Trumps executive order stopping it for now. so 

Homeland Security suspends travel ban

President Donald Trump's government moved swiftly Saturday to comply with a federal judge's order halting his travel ban -- even as Trump himself denounced the judge -- but readied its legal defense of the controversial executive action.

The Department of Homeland Security announced it has suspended all actions to implement the immigration order and will resume standard inspections of travelers as it did prior to the signing of the travel ban. But it said the Justice Department -- which is expected to file an emergency motion to stop the order -- needed to challenge the ruling "at the earliest possible time."  MORE

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#8 sweetjulie

sweetjulie
  • 319 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • mi

Posted 05 February 2017 - 01:25 AM

We are planning to visit in Philippines this coming July too but We decided to hold off our plan untill the new immigration will strengthen out, better to be safe than sorry. Even though we are all US citizen but its so nice to travel if everything will strengthen out that way there is no hassle. it not easy to travel overseas, you need to plan a head of time. Hopefully,  everything will work out for you...

#9 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,237 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 05 February 2017 - 04:28 AM

We are planning to visit in Philippines this coming July too but We decided to hold off our plan untill the new immigration will strengthen out, better to be safe than sorry. Even though we are all US citizen but its so nice to travel if everything will strengthen out that way there is no hassle. it not easy to travel overseas, you need to plan a head of time. Hopefully,  everything will work out for you...

As long as you are all US citizens you can safely ignore the travel bans on select foreign nationals. When entering US, just leave any foreign passport in your bag and present only your US passport. This is already the State Department recommended procedure.

Expect questions if you have been in any of the listed countries recently, but other than that you will be unaffected by this travel ban.

Ignore Facebook and go directly to the State Department or US Embassies when looking for the latest rules regarding entry/exit to the US.

The adventures continue
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#10 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 05:09 AM

What Fritz says. DO NOT listen to anything posted on social media.

With the volume of people that go through Customs every single day, if you did not go to any of the affected countries, you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Just go through Customs and answer the questions like you normally would if there was no ban.

It's really that easy.

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

#11 sweetjulie

sweetjulie
  • 319 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • mi

Posted 24 February 2017 - 12:47 AM

As long as you are all US citizens you can safely ignore the travel bans on select foreign nationals. When entering US, just leave any foreign passport in your bag and present only your US passport. This is already the State Department recommended procedure.

Expect questions if you have been in any of the listed countries recently, but other than that you will be unaffected by this travel ban.

Ignore Facebook and go directly to the State Department or US Embassies when looking for the latest rules regarding entry/exit to the US.

The adventures continue
Fritz

Thank you !

#12 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 02:48 AM

My wife and I went to Niagara Falls this past weekend.

When we returned across the Rainbow Bridge on Monday afternoon, we had ZERO issues coming back in. We were asked the usual questions, and that was it. :)

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users