Photo

Hubby knows almost nothing of Tagalog and Bisaya language. And yours?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,663 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:26 PM

Very nice to hear when husband trying to learn and pronounce tagalog or bisaya words..and cute to hear some pinay ladies whose english is croked with our croked pronounciation as well :lol:

Hubby only knows these two words ,mahal kita ( i love you) and diri lang (till here,stop).. Sounds cute when he says these but poor me he never learns other words..he says our language is like arabic language :lol:

And you ..... do you have such FANTASTIC husband who knows more words to say in tagalog and bisaya more than what you know ? :lol: :unsure:

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

1_zps3d8b5644.jpg

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#2 beeguy

beeguy
  • 884 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Very nice to hear when husband trying to learn and pronounce tagalog or bisaya words..and cute to hear some pinay ladies whose english is croked with our croked pronounciation as well :lol:

Hubby only knows these two words ,mahal kita ( i love you) and diri lang (till here,stop).. Sounds cute when he says these but poor me he never learns other words..he says our language is like arabic language :lol:

And you ..... do you have such FANTASTIC husband who knows more words to say in tagalog and bisaya more than what you know ? :lol: :unsure:

You have the advantage that you can say anything you want behind his back (or in front of him) to your relatives and he won't know. :lol:

03/02/2010: First trip to the Philippines.
04/06/2010: Joined WOF
04/11/2010: Met on Cherry Blossoms.
05/06/2010: Talked her into joining WOF.
05/13/2010: Changed our statuses on Facebook to "in a relationship".
05/28/2010: Met her friend and her employer in Chicago (here on business).
08/17/2010: Booked trip to the Philippines.
09/05/2010: Arrived in Manila late at night. Met her in the waiting area. WOW!
09/08/2010: Met her parents and most of the family!
09/10/2010: Trekked to the top of Mt. Pinatubo and surprised her with a ring. She said YES!
09/19/2010: Had to return to US. :(
03/25/2011: Arrived second visit with her. Together again.
04/14/2011: Flew back to Chicago :(

K-1
07/25/2011: Starting on K-1 package. Where did I put all that stuff???
08/02/2011: K-1 Petition package mailed via Priority Mail to Texas Service Center! The clock is running...

08/09/2011: K-1 Petition package delivered to Texas Service Center.
08/13/2011: K-1 Petition NOA1 received.
01/11/2012: I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) APPROVED
01/27/2012: NVC notification letter received.
02/07/2012: She received the letter from the US Embassy
02/14/2012: She passed the physical at St. Lukes!
02/15/2012: She finished her CFO seminar
02/27/2012: Depart O'Hare for Manila
02/28/2012: Arrived very late in Manila

03/01/2012: Interview at the US Embassy - K1 VISA APPROVED!!
03/07/2012: Visa delivered!
03/08/2012: Got CFO sticker.

03/16/2012: Arrived in the USA together.

05/12/2012: Married!!!

AOS

05/18/2012: Mailed AOS package to USCIS.
08/10/2012: Received temp Emp Auth Card with Advanced Parole from USCIS.

04/04/2013: Received her Permanent Resident Card from USCIS!

Removing Conditions

03/20/2015: Mailed I-751 package to USCIS

03/23/2015: I-751 package arrived at the California Service Center

03/25/2015: I-751 check cashed by USCIS

03/27/2015: I-751 NOA received from USCIS

04/13/2015: Bought tickets to Phil for her brother's wedding in June.

IMG_0692.JPG

#3 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,825 posts
  • lo

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:30 PM

You have the advantage that you can say anything you want behind his back (or in front of him) to your relatives and he won't know. :lol:

That's why you get the important stuff:

http://www.amazon.co...3707017&sr=8-30

(can't review, only now noticed this one, kind of expensive tho - kindle version is much cheaper...)

... I think I might give this a try: http://www.amazon.co...3707251&sr=8-90

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#4 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 12 December 2011 - 05:24 PM

Haaa in front is right - nothing but Ilongo in the air here in the evenings on the phone or in chat.. And no, Im limited to about 6-8 words..

#5 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,825 posts
  • lo

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:06 PM

... I think I might give this a try: http://www.amazon.co...3707251&sr=8-90

Hm, not good as a translator but looks like it could be useful for studying.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#6 JoeinMI

JoeinMI
  • 280 posts
  • ca

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:59 AM

So far Ive learned to count to ten. Including this response I've used that info exactly isa time (that's once).

oh yeah... I know mahal kita and maganda umaga and a couple other terms that'll get lost in the back of my head if she doesnt quiz me on them...

When she gets deep into conversation with one of her friends and tagalog is flying by at 100 mph, I join in like Latka from Taxi.
I quote one of the other guys on here.....the adventure continues.......

#7 che234

che234
  • Moderators
  • 248 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

My hubby don't know how to speak our dialect correctly. He knows i'm living in Surigao but every time i ask him to pronounce that he pronounce that one as SIARGAO which is different because siargao is another place :lol:

He knows how to speak MAHAL KITA , DILI (NO) , GABI.E(Evening) :lol: i always laugh every time he tried but i appreciated that one..he's not that talkative like other foreigners..my parents don't even understand the way he talked because of his accent but me i am used to it :lol: so every time my parents ask something to hubby they always ask me first to what does it mean blah blah :lol: but through the power of technology you can start constructing a correct sentence by just clicking the translate button. That is good for learning purposes ;)

#8 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

my hubby knows how to speak the following:

mahal kita sobra (i love you very much)
Mahal kita talaga (i truly love you)
gihigugma taka sobra mama (i love you so very much mamamia)
gimingaw ko nimo (i miss you)
namiss kita mama (i miss you mamamia)
ulo (head)
mata (eyes)
ilong (nose)
nawong (face)
tainga (ear)
buhok (hair)
dila (tongue)
labi (lips)
noo (forehead)
ngipon (teeth)
lubot (butt)
utot (fart)
halik (kiss)
baboy (pig)
iro (dog)
iring (cat)
baka (cow)
isda (fish)
manok (chicken)
kuneho (bunny/rabbit)
bulaklak (flowers)
talaga (really, truly, indeed)
sobra (more)
dili/hindi (no)
sige na (follow/ok)
dali na (hurry up)
hugaw (dirt)
tubig (water)
adobo
nilagang baka (beef stew)
matulog (sleep)
gwapo (handsome,attracting face,good looking)
maganda (pretty or beautiful)

Until now i keep teaching my husband because he wanted to learn more! Sometimes, i told him you are a bisaya naman uy then he replied: and my skin color is brown now??? sabay tawa(with laughed)!
and some time his 5 years old nephew asked me some few words of bisaya and tagalog and what it means in english
and asking me to get a coconut juice or buko juice in philippines and i told him i can't because philippines is very, very far and he replied it's not 1 hour drive only? And so hubby, explained to him how far is my place from america! "To You My Hubby Mahal Kita Sobra"

#9 melody

melody

• 2,663 posts
  • em

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:29 PM

@ beeguy ..That's cool man…. I could say alma takes the same advantage too ... :lol: :P

@ Sir Mark…I think I don't need hubby to try the first site you provided..i have enough Italian down and dirty that I he learns and I sadly I learn too.. :lol:

@ James..6-8 words are enough important all those are basic words to start a conversation knowing that you use those on the phone or in chat.. Let me share this illongo i knew..magbakal ka sang toyo ( buy a soy sauce) . Is this right?

@ JoenMI…I think you involve more on business or you have a sari-sari store,counting to ten is better than nothing in this case.. :lol: Really,the adventure continues,it takes much journey to learn more….

@ Sheen…he is cute converting Surigao in Sairgao…. I think you are the best translator of him.. I myself NO because I always repeat the same thing (answer) when hubby ask me, "what did she/he tells?" My response is, "She/he told you've got a beautiful wife"…. :lol: :unsure: :blink: and he doesn't believe it anymore.. :angry:

@ Gimeni..Wow FANTASTIC husband! I think you don't need to fly over pinas just to feel like in Phil. now that you have American speaking tagalong in US…B)

Edited by melody, 13 December 2011 - 02:31 PM.

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

1_zps3d8b5644.jpg

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#10 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 13 December 2011 - 03:32 PM

I speak enough already that my step son can't get away speaking in Tagalog with his mom. B)

I think if I end up retiring in Phils I'll be able to get by when I arrive and be OK in few months.

Another plus is that when we are in a place where I want to say something to my wife and don't want others to understand I can switch to Tagalog.
Very convenient sometimes.

However, when my wife speaks on the phone with her family, I can't follow the "machine gun". :)

Cheers,

Carlos.
"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#11 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:54 PM

the other words that my hubby knows but i was forgot to type lol

salamat (thank you)
walang anuman (You're welcome)
sali na (to join)
kwarta (money)
nanay (a mother)
tatay (a father)
tita (aunt)
tito (uncle)
lola (grandma)
lolo (grandpa)
yaya (nanny)
sali ako (I want to join)
lami/sarap (tastiness/deliciousness)
bayot (gay)
tomboy (lesbian)
baho (stink,smell bad)
mais (corn)
okra (okra)

hubby said he can't remember at the moment because he is tired! LOL

#12 melody

melody

• 2,663 posts
  • em

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:31 PM

However, when my wife speaks on the phone with her family, I can't follow the "machine gun". :)

Good for such machine gun,the bullets never end :lol:

1_zps3d8b5644.jpg

#13 melody

melody

• 2,663 posts
  • em

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

the other words that my hubby knows but i was forgot to type lol

salamat (thank you)
walang anuman (You're welcome)
sali na (to join)
kwarta (money)
nanay (a mother)
tatay (a father)
tita (aunt)
tito (uncle)
lola (grandma)
lolo (grandpa)
yaya (nanny)
sali ako (I want to join)
lami/sarap (tastiness/deliciousness)
bayot (gay)
tomboy (lesbian)
baho (stink,smell bad)
mais (corn)
okra (okra)

hubby said he can't remember at the moment because he is tired! LOL

Wow....my friend.. he is really fantastic! He knows more than i know :lol: . .. one thing he should do is just to refresh his mind to teach me more :lol:. Which school he went to study to learn all these words?

PS.. You know..when i look at your profile pic i am hungry of you :lol:

Edited by melody, 14 December 2011 - 01:00 PM.

1_zps3d8b5644.jpg

#14 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:PSK-31, 80M DX
  • em

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Hi Melody

Interesting topic you have started.

My Tagalog is horrible, and I doubt if it will ever improve. It was a nightmare for me to learn French, which in Canada is one of the two official languages. While I may be certified as bilingual, my spoken level is not anywhere to what I consider to be natural. When speaking with colleagues, if we started in French, they would switch to English, of they could, just for my comfort level. I will not get to the horrible accent I have, either.

Now, while I can follow some of my wife's conversations, I doubt if I would attempt to speak it. But if we where living in the Philippines, I would become fluent, as the influence would be there.

As for your husband, maybe he is in the same boat, as I. You are living in Italy, therefore Italian is daily language, there is no pressing need to learn nor speak Tagalog.

As an aside, I have never understood the reason, why newcomers to a country never learn the native language. I have seen Filipino's, which have been in Canada for decades, yet their language skills in either French or English is lacking. They stay with other Filipino's, live in an area where there is a large Filipino community. While I understand a new place can be overwhelming, it is good to have a sense of the old country, it is also shortsighted. Basically, you have limited yourself from jobs, interactions with other cultures, etc. My wofe's sisters English skills are weak, when dealing with a bank, government office, etc, she needs someone to help her communicate. This is after 20 years in Canada. This is not just limited to one community, either.

#15 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:29 PM

Wow....my friend.. he is really fantastic! He knows more than i know :lol: . .. one thing he should do is just to refresh his mind to teach me more :lol:. Which school he went to study to learn all these words?

PS.. You know..when i look at your profile pic i am hungry of you :lol:

oh girl meldy, thank you so very much! i will tell my hubby about what you said later! im sure he will be happy for that :).....some times i talked to him in bisaya and tagalog and OMG he will keep asking me if what are those words mean then i translated it to english so he can understand even my english is only good haha! No school! basically, i am the one who teach him and he really wanted to learn and so his 5 years-old nephew. Let say, i am their teacher! hahaha

#16 zzzlpr

zzzlpr
  • 3,843 posts
  • ve

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:15 PM

As an aside, I have never understood the reason, why newcomers to a country never learn the native language.

Nothing is worse than Mexicans here in US. The vast majority live in a close down environment where only Spanish is spoken and to make things worse the Government doesn't make any effort to change.
Instead they have everything translated to Spanish and hire bilingual employees to deal with them, while I am paying for all of it. Sometimes feels like we are also a bilingual country.
US has no official language and for me this is a mistake.
I am fluent in Spanish and I lost count on how many times I help people to communicate in stores and other circumstances, but every time I make sure to tell the foreigner that they need to learn English to progress in this country. Although I always feel like it fell on deaf ears.

Peace,

Carlos.

Edited by zzzlpr, 14 December 2011 - 06:16 PM.

"A man does not know how alive he can be until a sweet Pinay steals his heart."
my point of view

11/08/2007 - Annulment Process Started
08/21/2008 - Annulment Granted
09/05/2008 - Annulment Court Order Issued
09/10/2008 - Mailed I-129F
09/11/2008 - Arrived at VSC
09/12/2008 - NOA1 Issued
01/29/2009 - NOA2 Issued
02/07/2009 - Manila Case Number Letter Received from NVC
02/15/2009 - Interview Scheduled for March, 23rd 2009
03/02/2009 - Passed Medical
03/23/2009 - Interview, all went well but NBI Clearance on her Married Name was missing
03/25/2009 - Delivered NBI Clearance to US Embassy
04/17/2009 - Visa on hand
04/24/2009 - CFO done
05/13/2009 - Arrived in US
06/01/2009 - Applied for SSN
06/02/2009 - Pending Immunizations done
06/05/2009 - Received SSN
06/22/2009 - Got Married "downtown" style
06/27/2009 - Requested sealed envelop with immunization form from Civil Dr.
07/03/2009 - Received sealed envelop from Dr.
07/14/2009 - Mailed the AOS
07/16/2009 - AOS arrived USCIS
07/20/2009 - AOS NOA1 Issued
08/21/2009 - Biometrics at local USCIS Office
09/10/2009 - Received EAD cards
11/17/2009 - AOS interview. Given a favorable decision.
11/27/2009 - Received the GC
10/07/2011 - Mailed the ROC
10/11/2011 - Arrived at VSC
10/18/2011 - ROC NOA Received (contains the 1 year extension)
11/14/2011 - Received ROC Biometrics Appointment Notification
12/09/2011 - ROC Biometrics
07/19/2012 - ROC Approved letter(no interview, even though I forgot to send a copy of the GC)
07/25/2012 - 10 year GC Arrived

#17 melody

melody

• 2,663 posts
  • em

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:49 PM

Hi Melody

Interesting topic you have started.

Hi nice man! Thanks for the compliment..sometimes i need one :D

My Tagalog is horrible, and I doubt if it will ever improve. It was a nightmare for me to learn French, which in Canada is one of the two official languages. While I may be certified as bilingual, my spoken level is not anywhere to what I consider to be natural. When speaking with colleagues, if we started in French, they would switch to English, of they could, just for my comfort level. I will not get to the horrible accent I have, either.

Wow..i wish to speak french too but nobody around me speaks this language..i think i need to live some months in france and speak with people though i couldn't understand nothing at first...

Now, while I can follow some of my wife's conversations, I doubt if I would attempt to speak it. But if we where living in the Philippines, I would become fluent, as the influence would be there.

Sure i couldn't doubt you willl learn gradually our language.. like me, travelling in South America and speaking with people help me to learn speaking spanish..

As for your husband, maybe he is in the same boat, as I. You are living in Italy, therefore Italian is daily language, there is no pressing need to learn nor speak Tagalog.

You're right...his english is not even perfect worst than mine.....

As an aside, I have never understood the reason, why newcomers to a country never learn the native language. I have seen Filipino's, which have been in Canada for decades, yet their language skills in either French or English is lacking. They stay with other Filipino's, live in an area where there is a large Filipino community. While I understand a new place can be overwhelming, it is good to have a sense of the old country, it is also shortsighted. Basically, you have limited yourself from jobs, interactions with other cultures, etc. My wofe's sisters English skills are weak, when dealing with a bank, government office, etc, she needs someone to help her communicate. This is after 20 years in Canada. This is not just limited to one community, either.

Perhaps the lack of interest learning french and improve their english speaking skills.. besides some are too shy to expose in a conversation with other nationalities.. I have difficulty too to improve my english skill considering that i was a classroom english president now my english is croked..:( maybe because at home i speak italian and when we travel i speak spanish,i usually use english in Wof, i hve some american friends but they have not patience to teach me :lol: ..they are too busy in life.. When i speak to my mom,i can't remember anymore what to tell..

Thanks for joining in my thread :)

1_zps3d8b5644.jpg

#18 melody

melody

• 2,663 posts
  • em

Posted 14 December 2011 - 06:52 PM

oh girl meldy, thank you so very much! i will tell my hubby about what you said later! im sure he will be happy for that :).....some times i talked to him in bisaya and tagalog and OMG he will keep asking me if what are those words mean then i translated it to english so he can understand even my english is only good haha! No school! basically, i am the one who teach him and he really wanted to learn and so his 5 years-old nephew. Let say, i am their teacher! hahaha

Now i become meldy because of liking you :lol:

Wow regards me to your hubby..put some pics of you naman my friend coz sometimes i have a feeling i have a friend made of spirit that i do not see :lol: and i have the impression that i speak to the wall :lol:

Can you be my teacher too.. huh..i dont know how to emagine if you have lots of patience to me being an annoying student :lol:

1_zps3d8b5644.jpg

#19 Psoas10

Psoas10
  • 409 posts
  • ca

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:01 AM

I speak very little Ilocano, even though half that state of Hawaii is Ilocano. I know more Tagalog, because I like to watch TFC with my wife. My wife's English is good. Also her knowledge of English and Ilocano makes it easier to find jobs, that cater towards to the huge Ilocano population here, the vast majority with poor English skills.

#20 Gemini

Gemini
  • Members
  • 431 posts
  • lo

Posted 15 December 2011 - 05:53 AM

Now i become meldy because of liking you :lol:

Wow regards me to your hubby..put some pics of you naman my friend coz sometimes i have a feeling i have a friend made of spirit that i do not see :lol: and i have the impression that i speak to the wall :lol:

Can you be my teacher too.. huh..i dont know how to emagine if you have lots of patience to me being an annoying student :lol:

sure i will...his beside me hehe...he said regards back! sure i will change the pic on my profile.....same here meldy...i saw ur pic that sheen's enhancement and wow you are really good looking and i like your eyes and your pretty like sheen and like me....meldy im not good in teaching lol but i can be your nanny hahaha ima good nanny lol
i have to go now!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users