6 replies to this topic

#1 hello_kitty

hello_kitty
  • Members
  • 25 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:02 PM

help please we just bought a magic jack and wondering where i would set up here in US before i travel to philippines or in philippines hope somebody help me.thanks

#2 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:50 PM

just set it up locally now so the number is that of where you live - I assume that is what you want as if the calls from the Phils look local. we have three down there now, all with Austin numbers..

#3 1PPCLI

1PPCLI
  • 420 posts
  • Interests:PSK-31, 80M DX
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • em

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

You can set up in either place, but probably easiest to do in the States before you go, just in case there are difficulties.

Best to use an area code from where you expect most calls are to made from. In our case, my wife's family are predominately backmeast, so we have a Magic Jack with a phone number they can dial as a local call. We then forward all he ncoming calls to our local line. This allows for the comput not be on all the time. If we need to make a long distance call, we will use the phone on thte Magic Jack.

We also have two, which are being used in the Philippines. Again, they are both set up with numbers as a local calls back east. This way, her brother and sister can receive calls from relatives there, while we use the Magic Jack phone to call them.

It works very well for us all.

#4 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

One thing to be aware of is that you should probably add years to your subscription from within the US. I have had friends who tried to pay for their additional years with their US ATM card while in the Philippines and could not because of their ip address being out of the US, thus either Magic Jack or their bank refusing to approve the charge. Two of my friends got around that by using a program called Hotspot Shield which is free and applies a US ip address but I have never used it, so cannot vouch for it, yet they say it worked for them. IMO why chance it, pay while in the US and save the hassle.

I paid for an extra 5 years on mine shortly after I got it, so I still have a little over a year left before I have to worry about it.

I am not affiliated with Hotspot Shield or any possible related company and only offer this info to help members.

Edited by Mr. Lee, 05 December 2011 - 09:43 PM.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#5 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ch

Posted 06 December 2011 - 02:15 PM

Or set it up on auto pay if the payor is here in the states.. I do that for 2 of mine so it doesnt expire and stop working..

One thing to be aware of is that you should probably add years to your subscription from within the US. I have had friends who tried to pay for their additional years with their US ATM card while in the Philippines and could not because of their ip address being out of the US, thus either Magic Jack or their bank refusing to approve the charge. Two of my friends got around that by using a program called Hotspot Shield which is free and applies a US ip address but I have never used it, so cannot vouch for it, yet they say it worked for them. IMO why chance it, pay while in the US and save the hassle.

I paid for an extra 5 years on mine shortly after I got it, so I still have a little over a year left before I have to worry about it.

I am not affiliated with Hotspot Shield or any possible related company and only offer this info to help members.

#6 richierich

richierich
  • Members
  • 130 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:17 AM

I added years to my account from within the Philippines twice using my US ATM card with no problem. I used Hotspot Shield for 1 day then i uninstalled it. I had a lot of inbound/outbound traffic even with Hotspot Shield off.

#7 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

I added years to my account from within the Philippines twice using my US ATM card with no problem. I used Hotspot Shield for 1 day then i uninstalled it. I had a lot of inbound/outbound traffic even with Hotspot Shield off.

Thanks, good to know.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users