16 replies to this topic

#1 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ve

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:12 AM

i told my mom to send me a globe sim card from the philippines with roaming already, my question is, what mobile phone should i use? what is roaming anyway? hehe and whats that OFW Family Sim? :)

#2 cmitch77

cmitch77
  • Members
  • 16 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ch
  • Local Office:don't know

Posted 03 November 2011 - 03:39 AM

i told my mom to send me a globe sim card from the philippines with roaming already, my question is, what mobile phone should i use? what is roaming anyway? hehe and whats that OFW Family Sim? :)

Roaming sims are the sim cards used outside of the Phils. I used to use a Smart roaming sim to text my wife before I just bought a smartphone and used Yahoo Messenger (she also has cellphone with a Sun sim card where she can add load for just YM).

Here in the States, you need a cellphone that is "unlocked" and uses a sim. There are many Chinese clones that you can buy online. I bought one on ebay. They are easy to find. Just search "Unlocked Dual Sim." (A dual sim allows for 2 sim cards, like most phones from the Phils. However, a Philippines cellphone WILL NOT work in the U.S.. The network is different.) You should also be able to use a name brand phone that has been unlocked, but that is often a hastle as it requires the help of a manufacturer. But, they also have them on ebay.

Hope this helps
03/26/2011 - NOA1 received (3rd time's a charm)
04/24/2011 - Second trip to the Phils to spend time with my wife
05/11/2011 - Second long, lonely trip back to the states
06/22/2011 - NOA2 recieved

#3 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • ve

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:42 AM

Roaming sims are the sim cards used outside of the Phils. I used to use a Smart roaming sim to text my wife before I just bought a smartphone and used Yahoo Messenger (she also has cellphone with a Sun sim card where she can add load for just YM).

Here in the States, you need a cellphone that is "unlocked" and uses a sim. There are many Chinese clones that you can buy online. I bought one on ebay. They are easy to find. Just search "Unlocked Dual Sim." (A dual sim allows for 2 sim cards, like most phones from the Phils. However, a Philippines cellphone WILL NOT work in the U.S.. The network is different.) You should also be able to use a name brand phone that has been unlocked, but that is often a hastle as it requires the help of a manufacturer. But, they also have them on ebay.

Hope this helps

im planning to buy this unit: http://www.nokiausa....ts/phone/c3-01/ do you think it will work my globe roaming sim? :)

#4 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:47 AM

When selecting a cell phone, look for a US tri-band, quad-band or world-phone that uses the GSM network standard.

The 3 frequencies used by a GSM cellphone in the US are 850, 1800, 1900. A tri-band cellphone from the Philippines or Europe will use 850, 900, 1800. A quad-band or world-phone uses all 4 of these frequencies and will be able to connect to a GSM network anywhere in the world. You will see phones with additional frequencies listed and additional connection types such as CDMA. Don't worry about these extras as they will not affect your ability to use the Globe SIM. The basic requirement is GSM & support for the 850, 1800 and 1900 frequencies.

When you buy the handset make sure it is unlocked. When a cellphone is locked, it will only connect using SIM from the network that locked the phone. An unlocked phone is able to connect to any GSM network that will allow the SIM card installed in the phone to use the network.

Roaming is the term that cell phone companies use to refer to a connection that not using their own network. You are 'roaming' around outside their service area and they are paying someone else to allow you to connect over another company's network.
Globe ROAMING instructions -- This is a must read.

In order to roam outside Philippines with a Philippine SIM you must put the SIM in ROAMING mode by sending a text message to the carrier before you leave their service area. You turn ROAMING mode off after you get back to where the company has normal service.

You can buy a Globe SIM with ROAMING activated on eBay. eLoad for Globe (also the other major carriers) is also available on eBay.

The sellers I have made purchases from for several years now are G3GOHU and J2ecomm. I recommend either of these eBay sellers.
Globe ROAMING SIM search on eBay. Several of these SIMs come with a load so you can get started immediately.

Remember that while in ROAMING mode you must maintain a P100 minimum balance and the rates charged are very high for making or receiving a phone call or sending a text. There is no charge for receiving a text while in ROAMING mode. I suggest you have your friends & relatives send texts to your Globe number and you respond using a US cellphone with messages relayed by Yahoo! Messenger, AIM or similar messaging service that is seen as a local text by your phone company. For this purpose a dual SIM phone is very useful, but they are not very common yet.

The following is from the details given by J2ecomm

LOBE Prepaid International Roaming SIM Card, a Philippine GSM Prepaid service powered by GLOBE Telecom Network, this SIM is already activated for International Roaming use, the SIM will work on most part of USA, Canada, Europe or contact us to check the service availability on your area.

GLOBE INTERNATIONAL PREPAID ROAMING support both SMS & voice service [see rates below], incoming SMS is free & anybody from the Philippines will only have to pay 1.00 Php to 2.00 Php for every SMS messages send to your GLOBE Roaming SIM, connecting you to your love ones & friends in the Philippines easily!!!

You also need to maintain a P100.00 as daily maintaining balance and the SIM has a starting P100.00 credit.
Shipping is free and you can also purchase additional reload onto this sim card at anytime by visiting our eBay store

SIM FEATURES

International Roaming Capable.
An assigned Philippine Mobile Number.
Free incoming calls from anywhere around the world.
No Yearly contract, Monthly Charges or Credit check.
500 phonebook & 80 inbox capacity.
myOrganizer
Personalization with myGlobe.ROAMING SERVICE FEATURES

Zero-charging for receiving text messages while roaming, & anybody from the Philippines will only have to pay 1.00 Php [2.00 Php for Smart Subscriber] for every 1 SMS messages they send to you.GLOBE PREPAID US ROAMING SERVICE RATES

SMS
Outgoing: P25.00
Incoming: FREE

VOICE
Outgoing: P80.00/min
Incoming: P80.00/min

REQUIREMENTS

You need a GSM 1900 or a US TRI/QUAD band GSM phone for USA & Canada, 900/1800 GSM for Philippines & other countries, if you're not sure about this, check your phone manual or contact your dealer.
Unlocked or Open Line, if you're not sure about this, contact your dealer.

The adventure continues
Fritz

Edited by Fritz, 03 November 2011 - 06:15 AM.

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#5 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:13 AM

More options

There is a free SIM card offer on this site. Currently they are saying that they are out of SIMs (Actually everytime I have checked this site they are out of SIMs :P )
http://www.freephili...om_sim_card.php

Globe support forum. Post your questions about Globe SIMs. Tagalog/English)
http://getsatisfacti...y_sim_questions

Mobile Device Support forum with instructions on how to use an ordinary Globe SIM as an OFW Family SIM (Tagalog/English)
http://www.symbianiz...ead.php?t=69535

Globe OFW Family Pack sales page
http://site.globe.co..._productId=2393

Globe Prepaid Roaming Zones & Rates (US is in Zone 2)
http://site.globe.co...cAAD9DqL8AAABOe

Globe International Roaming (Complete instructions on how to)
http://site.globe.co...cAAEVQu7cAAAALe

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#6 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • ve

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:02 PM

thank you Fritz and cmitch77 :) so i guess ill just buy globe roaming sim on ebay than mom is sending me globe sim activated roaming in the philippines hehe, if my family are unlimited call and text, can they call and text me for free? is there unlimited text roaming from US to philippines? hehe

#7 honneh

honneh
  • 495 posts
  • ve
  • Local Office:Philippines

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:13 PM

thank you Fritz and cmitch77 :) so i guess ill just buy globe roaming sim on ebay than mom is sending me globe sim activated roaming in the philippines hehe, if my family are unlimited call and text, can they call and text me for free? is there unlimited text roaming from US to philippines? hehe

If your family has unlimited call and text, they can text your roaming number as much as they can but they can't make a call on your roaming number.I don't know much on mobile plan here in US if they have unlimited text to other country but I have a prepaid AT&T mobile $2/day if you use it and I used to text it to the Philippines "unlimited". Just $2/day if you used it, no charge on days that you don't use it.
I text to PI using my prepaid AT&T mobile and they text back to my roaming number.

Edited by honneh, 03 November 2011 - 04:22 PM.

#8 honneh

honneh
  • 495 posts
  • ve
  • Local Office:Philippines

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:19 PM

Hope this helps

Sure you can used a Philippine cellphone as long as it is quadband. I have with me my cellphone from the Philippines and used it for my roaming number.

#9 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • ve

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

Sure you can used a Philippine cellphone as long as it is quadband. I have with me my cellphone from the Philippines and used it for my roaming number.

thank you honneh :) can my family load my roaming sim? (AutoLoadMax Service or Share-a-load)

#10 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:56 AM

Sending texts to your Globe phone is a local text to a Globe user. On your end there is no charge for receiving the text

If they call your Globe number it is a local Globe call from their end, but you will pay P80 per minute to receive a voice call on your Globe phone while roaming in US.

One solution to sending texts to them that does not require an international text plan is to create a Yahoo Messenger account & add the number you want to send texts to as the cell phone of the account owner. Then to activate it you login into Yahoo Messenger using that account and choose "Sign into Mobile Phone". All texts sent to that account will then be forwarded to the mobile phone. It is a local text for most cell plans and Yahoo! will forward the text to any network that supports Yahoo!. For countries such as Hong Kong where Yahoo! is not supported, you can do this with several of the other IM programs such as Microsoft Messenger and AIM (AOL Instant Messenger)

All of the transfer-to-another-phone loading methods can be used to put load on your phone & you can transfer load to their phones. The only penalty is the P25 you pay for sending a text while roaming in US if you choose to send load. There is no additional charge for sending load to a phone in roaming mode.

You can buy eLoad from any vendor and it is sent to your phone number. As long as the phone is turned on you're fine. The roaming status does not affect eLoad or load transfers in any manner :)

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#11 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • ve

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

thank you Fritz :) will they charge my roaming sim if they only miss call my roaming number? i have my unlimited text to the philippines but i want them also to text me for free so i decided to use the roaming sim hehe

#12 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:17 AM

thank you Fritz :) will they charge my roaming sim if they only miss call my roaming number? i have my unlimited text to the philippines but i want them also to text me for free so i decided to use the roaming sim hehe

No charges for receiving texts ... The P25 is only on sending them from the roaming phone

If you answer the phone and they dialed it as a voice call, then you will be charged the P80 per minute for talking on the phone. Simple rule here is; never answer the phone when it rings :)

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#13 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • ve

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:10 AM

No charges for receiving texts ... The P25 is only on sending them from the roaming phone

If you answer the phone and they dialed it as a voice call, then you will be charged the P80 per minute for talking on the phone. Simple rule here is; never answer the phone when it rings :)

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

oh i see, i tell them not to call my roaming number hehe, when is the expiration of roaming sim? :)

#14 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,252 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:11 AM

oh i see, i tell them not to call my roaming number hehe, when is the expiration of roaming sim? :)

Roaming expires every 180 days. There are instructions on the Roaming How To page I linked above to extend the roaming time with a P27.50 text message. (P2.50 for the service & P25.00 for the roaming mode text message.) Just remember to send the extension text before the roaming time expires. If you do forget the extension and let the Roaming expire, you can call the 24hr customer service number to turn it back on.

The Roaming How To page also recommends that you lock the keypad so you don't accidentally make a voice call and wipe out the load.

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#15 James in Austin Tx

James in Austin Tx
  • Moderators
  • 2,323 posts
  • ch

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:55 PM

We use the roaming Smart phone here for the free texts for the Phil texters, we use MagicJack for voice or a calling card should they be on a cell.. If I can only keep her from texting international so much - its .25 a text from the US..

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

#16 Thetimewillcome

Thetimewillcome
  • 301 posts
  • ca

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

She can use YM to text for free as mentioned above.

We use the roaming Smart phone here for the free texts for the Phil texters, we use MagicJack for voice or a calling card should they be on a cell.. If I can only keep her from texting international so much - its .25 a text from the US..

October 2010- Met online
October 28, 2010-Officially a couple
Feb 26, 2011- Met at NAIA
Feb 28, 2011- Proposed in Bali
Sept 1, 2011- Second trip to the Philippines
Feb 11, 2012- Third trip to the Philippines
July 9, 2012- Final divorce judgement
Aug 10, 2012- Sent I-129F
Aug 14 2012- NOA 1

April 19 2013-NOA 2
Aug 5 Sputum negative, finished medical

Aug 7 Embassy interview passed

Aug 31 Visa delivered.

The US government agencies that process visa applications suck stinky a$$.

‎"A wise man should consider health is the greatest blessing, and learn how by his own thought to derive benefit from his illnesses" -Hippocrates

#17 Mahusay Ako

Mahusay Ako
  • Members
  • 37 posts
  • ve

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:26 PM

to all: thank you for helping me :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users