7 replies to this topic

#1 Compleximpact

Compleximpact
  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

Skype is the easiest and most affordable way to communicate with someone in the Philippines that I've come to research. Buying an affordable mini-computer with Webcam/mic built into it for the person in the Philippines and installing Skype and purchasing a local unlimited internet plan which usually isn't that expensive and cheaper than most cell phone services which DO NOT offer overseas calling without charging. Skype gives you the opportunity to speak freely and unlimited as much as you want with Skype to Skype. You can do the same through Yahoo as well and probably other services, but I find Skype to be the best for calling internationally. I'm hoping that the Philippines will fall under the unlimited international calling plan that Skype has to offer for about 6.99 USD per month. It allows you to call a large listing of international countries both cellular and landline for unlimited talk time straight from Skype. Philippines is not on this list yet, but I'm hoping someday and soon. Skype is user friendly as you can install it on most smart phones these days as well and any personal computer with any OS (except for Linux I'm not sure). Yahoo provides an excellent service for free giving you the ability to text to any Philippines cellular phone that is accepting texting via SMS. Whether or not it charges the person in the Philippines is something I'm not sure about as it varies based on the cellular provider. I've found it to be a very useful feature with Yahoo allowing me to send free SMS messages.

#2 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,243 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 23 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Almost all VOIP phone services (Skype, Vonage, Yahoo voice, Google Voice etc.) offer free computer to computer connection and charge for a connection to a POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) phone.

Most of the cost of connecting to a traditional phone is the tariff charged by the local phone company for connecting the call.

In addition many of the VOIP companies offer telephone sets for use with their networks. There is a wide variation on the charges for this service. Some will sell you the equipment and allow you to use it with no extra charge, others will give you the equipment and then charge you for your usage and many other variations.

Magic Jack for example sells you the equipment and then charges a flat annual fee for the use of the Magic Jack network whether you use an MJ phone or computer to place/receive the call.

Don't expect to see Skype to landline/mobile in Philippines drop in price anytime soon. A large part of the cost is the tariff paid to use the local telephone network.

To get the convenience of a cellphone and computer2computer pricing in the same package you need Magic Jack or one of the other solutions that includes a SIP or VOIP telephone handset as part of the package.

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#3 dontron64

dontron64
  • 232 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca
  • Local Office:Anchorage

Posted 24 August 2011 - 05:24 AM

The most serious restriction to both of these options is the requirement of a DSL (or better) connection. Depending on where your filipina is located they may not be able to obtain DSL service. Such as Dinagat island in the southern Philippines in my case. So we are left with the very slow SMART Broad USB dongle service.
Our time line:
-----------
11-2-09 Met for the first time
11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday
11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.
11-22-09 Went back to the States
1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.
10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines
10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!
10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time
10-25-10 Returned to States
11-2010 Started her annulment process
1-4-11 Free to marry within the country
2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines
2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)
4-27-11 Got Married
5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest
6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted
6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage
7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months
8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency
9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.
9-12-11 NOA1 recieved
3-14-12 NOA2 approved!!!! (per USCIS website)
3-19-12 pkg received by NVC
4-3-12 Finally received NVC case #
4-4-12 Paid AOS fee
4-5-12 USPS'd AOS docs. NVC gave me permission to send in my wife's DS-230 docs without needing to pay for the IV fee first, due to the IV fee change next week and I'm under a tight time schedule.
4-6-12 USPS'd DS230 docs.
4-13-12 will pay new fee schedule for IV fee.
4-13-12 Departing for PI for my 4th trip. (9 mos apart is a long time.)
4-17-12 Completed her medical exam while we were in Manila after my arrival.
4-23-12 paid IV fees
5-4-12 Requested an expedite from manila since I was in country through May - Approved.
5-9-12 NVC finally sends the pkg to Manila.
5-18-12 Finally able to schedule our interview to fit into my in country travel.
5-23-12 Interview, long (6hrs), boring, pain in the butt, but PASSED
5-28-12 Finally received her passport back in Surigao, worried it would pass us as we headed towards manila.
6-4-12 I had to return to the US, she had to take a later flight due to the uncertainty with her passport.
6-6-12 Len arrives in the US in Chicago.
6-7-12 0020 Len arrives on one of the last incoming flights at Hobby Airport in Houston. HOME AT LAST!!!!

#4 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,852 posts
  • lo

Posted 24 August 2011 - 12:45 PM

No Skype unlimited to the Philippines: http://www.skype.com...pay-monthly/#PH (other than computer-to-computer, of course)

Persons in the Philippines are NOT charged for receiving either calls or messages (SMS or MMS), as far as I know. But this is one of the reasons many companies to not allow you to send MMS messages to cellphones in the Philippines (they cannot bill for it).

Edited by MrkGrismer, 24 August 2011 - 12:47 PM.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#5 Alex

Alex
  • Members
  • 21 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:37 PM

No Skype unlimited to the Philippines: http://www.skype.com...pay-monthly/#PH (other than computer-to-computer, of course)

Persons in the Philippines are NOT charged for receiving either calls or messages (SMS or MMS), as far as I know. But this is one of the reasons many companies to not allow you to send MMS messages to cellphones in the Philippines (they cannot bill for it).

I just did this for my GF in Consolacion. I bought her a $200 US Netbook (Asus) for Christmas. Then we had SMART Bro internet installed via Canopy Antenna for 999P a month. We talk twice a day (I'm in US). It's awesome. We lay in bed together an talk, it's the next best thing to being there. The video is slightly pixeled but overall I'm happy to talk to her daily unlimited for $20 a month...can't beat it.

Nov 2010 - Met Alona for the 1st time

Feb 2011 - 2nd visit

Mar 2011 - 3rd visit

Oct 2011 - 4th visit

Dec 2011 - 5th visit

Apr 2012 - Apr 2013  1 year work assignment (lucky me)

Sept 2013 - 7th visit

Sept 17 2013    Divorce granted, finally

Sept 20 2013    Package sent

Sept 23  2013   Package received awaiting NOA1

Nov 22, 2013    NOA2 Notice date

Nov 27, 2013    Received NOA2 vis snail mail (never got email)

Dec 2, 2013      Online status - Sent to State Dept

Dec 9, 2013      11:30PM EST called and case number processed today!!!

#6 che234

che234
  • Moderators
  • 248 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:48 AM

If you wants to text your relatives to philippines you can use the service of Magtext. Free unlimited text to all network using your phone browser or pc.

As for me every time i called hubby i always use SIP or VOIP service in addition of google voice for free and unlimited as long as i have an internet connection either to my phone or lappy. I can call US and Canada for unlimited though he also availed the package of international plan of AT&T but it still save a lots of $ if i am the one who call :P

@ Alex - is your girl from Consolation here in mindanao? Good to hear that you had a long vacation during Christmas. Tell her to join WOF i'm sure she'll meet new friends and learn a lot here ;)

Edited by sheenchen, 12 January 2012 - 12:51 AM.

#7 beeguy

beeguy
  • 884 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:26 AM

Skype is the easiest and most affordable way to communicate with someone in the Philippines that I've come to research. Buying an affordable mini-computer with Webcam/mic built into it for the person in the Philippines and installing Skype and purchasing a local unlimited internet plan which usually isn't that expensive and cheaper than most cell phone services which DO NOT offer overseas calling without charging. Skype gives you the opportunity to speak freely and unlimited as much as you want with Skype to Skype. You can do the same through Yahoo as well and probably other services, but I find Skype to be the best for calling internationally. I'm hoping that the Philippines will fall under the unlimited international calling plan that Skype has to offer for about 6.99 USD per month. It allows you to call a large listing of international countries both cellular and landline for unlimited talk time straight from Skype. Philippines is not on this list yet, but I'm hoping someday and soon. Skype is user friendly as you can install it on most smart phones these days as well and any personal computer with any OS (except for Linux I'm not sure). Yahoo provides an excellent service for free giving you the ability to text to any Philippines cellular phone that is accepting texting via SMS. Whether or not it charges the person in the Philippines is something I'm not sure about as it varies based on the cellular provider. I've found it to be a very useful feature with Yahoo allowing me to send free SMS messages.

Skype for Linux

03/02/2010: First trip to the Philippines.
04/06/2010: Joined WOF
04/11/2010: Met on Cherry Blossoms.
05/06/2010: Talked her into joining WOF.
05/13/2010: Changed our statuses on Facebook to "in a relationship".
05/28/2010: Met her friend and her employer in Chicago (here on business).
08/17/2010: Booked trip to the Philippines.
09/05/2010: Arrived in Manila late at night. Met her in the waiting area. WOW!
09/08/2010: Met her parents and most of the family!
09/10/2010: Trekked to the top of Mt. Pinatubo and surprised her with a ring. She said YES!
09/19/2010: Had to return to US. :(
03/25/2011: Arrived second visit with her. Together again.
04/14/2011: Flew back to Chicago :(

K-1
07/25/2011: Starting on K-1 package. Where did I put all that stuff???
08/02/2011: K-1 Petition package mailed via Priority Mail to Texas Service Center! The clock is running...

08/09/2011: K-1 Petition package delivered to Texas Service Center.
08/13/2011: K-1 Petition NOA1 received.
01/11/2012: I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) APPROVED
01/27/2012: NVC notification letter received.
02/07/2012: She received the letter from the US Embassy
02/14/2012: She passed the physical at St. Lukes!
02/15/2012: She finished her CFO seminar
02/27/2012: Depart O'Hare for Manila
02/28/2012: Arrived very late in Manila

03/01/2012: Interview at the US Embassy - K1 VISA APPROVED!!
03/07/2012: Visa delivered!
03/08/2012: Got CFO sticker.

03/16/2012: Arrived in the USA together.

05/12/2012: Married!!!

AOS

05/18/2012: Mailed AOS package to USCIS.
08/10/2012: Received temp Emp Auth Card with Advanced Parole from USCIS.

04/04/2013: Received her Permanent Resident Card from USCIS!

Removing Conditions

03/20/2015: Mailed I-751 package to USCIS

03/23/2015: I-751 package arrived at the California Service Center

03/25/2015: I-751 check cashed by USCIS

03/27/2015: I-751 NOA received from USCIS

04/13/2015: Bought tickets to Phil for her brother's wedding in June.

IMG_0692.JPG

#8 richierich

richierich
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

I just did this for my GF in Consolacion. I bought her a $200 US Netbook (Asus) for Christmas. Then we had SMART Bro internet installed via Canopy Antenna for 999P a month. We talk twice a day (I'm in US). It's awesome. We lay in bed together an talk, it's the next best thing to being there. The video is slightly pixeled but overall I'm happy to talk to her daily unlimited for $20 a month...can't beat it.

My wife lives in Hinatuan. She had Smart Bro (Canopy Antenna)for 2 years. When Globe came out with Wimax in town she switched. About 30% of Smart Bro users here in town switched to Globe Wimax. Globe Wimax here in town is so much better than Smart. Whenever we had problems Smart always gave us the runaround. Globe customer Service is great service. We had a problem with a faulty modem and within 3 days a technician came out and replaced it. When my wife tried to cancel her smart account they would not let her. After 2 weeks they said with a valid reason they will let her cancel her account but she had to go to Butuan city to cancel (4 hour bus trip one way) 2 months later they called and said she had a credit of 120 pesos on her account but she can only collect the money as a credit on future service with them.

We use Magic Jack for calls to the USA. We are now on our 3rd year of service with Magic Jack.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users