12 replies to this topic

#1 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:55 PM

Some of you may have already found out that you MUST be logged in to read the forum. I shut almost everything down to everyone thats not a member or is not logged in. This was done to slow down the people who come here just to dig up info about our members. This wont stop them , it will only make them join the forum if they are not already members. If they are members then they will need to log in .
This section is open so guests will know they must join the forum in order to read posts or view our photo's .
TIM

#2 Roxas Ron

Roxas Ron
  • Moderators
  • 2,115 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te
  • Local Office:Atlanta

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:24 PM

QUOTE(HAWK @ Feb 16 2007, 04:55 PM) View Post
Some of you may have already found out that you MUST be logged in to read the forum. I shut almost everything down to everyone thats not a member or is not logged in. This was done to slow down the people who come here just to dig up info about our members. This wont stop them , it will only make them join the forum if they are not already members. If they are members then they will need to log in .
This section is open so guests will know they must join the forum in order to read posts or view our photo's .
TIM

Good move Tim...thanks for making this the best forum on the net!!!

#3 eileen

eileen
  • Members
  • 28 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Pending)
  • mi

Posted 16 February 2007 - 11:43 PM

Hello Sir Tim. I am happy to see this change because it makes us members feel secured. Thank you.

#4 Smitty91

Smitty91
  • 1,128 posts
  • Location:Home is where the heart is and my heart is with my wife.
  • ca
  • Local Office:Denver

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:19 AM

Tim, few things.

1- This thread is posted in the Site News section which is not open to those not members and logged in. The Welcome section is open to those non member and/or not signed in.

2- Filipino Culture is not a protected forum where the others around is. Just making sure you intended that. Also all of the Immigration sections are open.

3- There are a bunch of members that have placed their introductions in the "Welcome" section. Since you blocked viewing threads in an attempt to protect the members here, should those introduction posts in the Welcome section be moved to the appropriate section and then move this thread to the welcome section?

EDIT: PS- Maybe the Welcome section should be changed to something like "Visitors Read Here" or something like that?

Steve

Edited by Smitty91, 17 February 2007 - 01:20 AM.

Love is a decision... an act of will. ~Fr John Corapi.
The Will of God will never take you to a place where the Grace of God does not protect you. ~unkown
Posted Image + Posted Image = Posted Image
Timelines
Facebook Page

#5 Henry

Henry
  • Members
  • 115 posts
  • ve

Posted 17 February 2007 - 01:37 AM

I'm surprised that you went this way. I have always thought that "members only" forums were made that way because they were paranoid, had something to be ashamed of, and wanted to track members for origin(more paranoia). I guess with the events of the past few weeks it was bound to happen sooner or later. Yes, I know there is nothing to be ashamed of here.

Henry

#6 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • ch

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:16 AM

Hi Smitty,
I'm still working on this so it might take awhile before I get everything done.
The Filipino Culture section is now closed. I missed that one thanks for letting me know it was still open.
The welcome section should have been locked down same as the rules section when I started the forum but it wasn't ( that was my mistake ) and members started posting intro's there. At the time it was no big deal. Sometime in the next few days I will move all the intro's out of the welcome section and put them into the intro section. The welcome section will stay open to non members.
The site news section is open and will stay open so everyone will know whats going on with the site.
If you find anything else that I missed please let me know,
Thanks,
TIM

#7 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • ch

Posted 17 February 2007 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE(Henry @ Feb 16 2007, 07:37 PM) View Post
I'm surprised that you went this way. I have always thought that "members only" forums were made that way because they were paranoid, had something to be ashamed of, and wanted to track members for origin(more paranoia). I guess with the events of the past few weeks it was bound to happen sooner or later. Yes, I know there is nothing to be ashamed of here.

Henry

There are a few other things I'll be doing to help protect the members but I'll wait till later to talk about those.
I don't need people to join the forum so I can track them. Everyone that comes on the site member or guest , I can see the IP address and track it. IP's are like user names , some people have lots of them.
TIM

#8 felixDcat

felixDcat
  • 510 posts
  • lo

Posted 17 February 2007 - 03:35 PM

Umm, why i can no longer see the other forums? Like the that of US immigration, law etc... Philippines immigration, law etc...? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. ~Rita Rudner"

#9 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,072 posts
  • ch

Posted 17 February 2007 - 04:56 PM

QUOTE(felixDcat @ Feb 17 2007, 09:35 AM) View Post
Umm, why i can no longer see the other forums? Like the that of US immigration, law etc... Philippines immigration, law etc...? sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

You should be able to see it now. Let me know if you cant.
TIM

#10 felixDcat

felixDcat
  • 510 posts
  • lo

Posted 18 February 2007 - 03:18 AM

Thanks Tim! I can see it now wink.gif

"I love being married. It's so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life. ~Rita Rudner"

#11 jolin

jolin
  • Members
  • 584 posts
  • Interests:Classical music, photography, trains
  • lo

Posted 18 February 2007 - 07:38 AM

QUOTE(HAWK @ Feb 16 2007, 11:55 PM) View Post
TIM

Too bad you had to do this, even if it was possible to see it coming - and I understand your decision. In some way this feels as giving in to the bad forces, but so does a lock on your front door... Some members I value have disappeared from the scene, and I always wondered if information digging and harrassments outside of this forum has been the cause. I know at least three of them have been subject to mockery at other places.

I salute you for your efforts to keep this forum's family atmosphere.

Nil desperandum, stercus accidit

My Philippine photos

#12 rhiadraiss

rhiadraiss
  • Members
  • 1,572 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca

Posted 19 February 2007 - 04:29 AM

Thats good Tim , at least only members can access here .

#13 lynn1221

lynn1221
  • Banned
  • 1 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te
  • Local Office:上海

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:41 AM

SPAM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users