#1 Shep

Shep
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • te

Posted 16 August 2013 - 11:23 AM

Hi

These are are links to sites of a friend who runs a couple charity organisations for the Philippines children. Help him out if you can  :)

Philippines Basic Needs Outreach Program 

http://www.philippinebasicneeds.com/

Facebook, https://www.facebook...342587392454462

This one is a bit different but slowly getting results that at least help some kids.

http://gaystreetkidscharity.org/

And this one partly helps fund the charity's above.

http://www.daviethriftstore.org/

Attached File  basic needs.jpg   48.45KB   2 downloads

#2 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:Sacramento

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

I've become very cynical about organizations whose members solicit donations, especially in the name of needy children.  MOST U.S.-based organizations are pure scams, with more than 90% of such funds going to professional fund-raising businesses ("Children's Cancer Fund," etc.).

Though I am sure that Bruce Wheatley is a legitimate spokesperson for his projects and that donated funds are used, mostly, for what he represents, I would recommend caution when considering significant donations to any such organizations in the Philippines.

I was associated (did paralegal work) with one such organization based in Angeles City and Sacramento, U.S., which I believed to be most sincere and legitimate.  But as I became more familiar with the people involved and the small numbers of actual children, it became apparent that donation solicitation and financial support of the staff were the primary activities.  There is almost a subculture community of such people in the U.S. who stand outside of Philippine businesses, often with tables and ingratiating smiles.  Their fund-raising forays, on a daily basis, are an income-generating ritual, of which they seem to brag about and are reluctant to seek REAL employment.

If you really want to help any such organizations, do some research and ask questions whose answers can be validated.

-Ray B

#3 Shep

Shep
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • te

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:41 AM

I've become very cynical about organizations whose members solicit donations, especially in the name of needy children.  MOST U.S.-based organizations are pure scams, with more than 90% of such funds going to professional fund-raising businesses ("Children's Cancer Fund," etc.).

Though I am sure that Bruce Wheatley is a legitimate spokesperson for his projects and that donated funds are used, mostly, for what he represents, I would recommend caution when considering significant donations to any such organizations in the Philippines.

I was associated (did paralegal work) with one such organization based in Angeles City and Sacramento, U.S., which I believed to be most sincere and legitimate.  But as I became more familiar with the people involved and the small numbers of actual children, it became apparent that donation solicitation and financial support of the staff were the primary activities.  There is almost a subculture community of such people in the U.S. who stand outside of Philippine businesses, often with tables and ingratiating smiles.  Their fund-raising forays, on a daily basis, are an income-generating ritual, of which they seem to brag about and are reluctant to seek REAL employment.

If you really want to help any such organizations, do some research and ask questions whose answers can be validated.

-Ray B

I agree with what you say about large charity organizations. Bruce is a one man band that mainly relies on his own funds to help children. There are no payrolls or anything so all donations are put direct to the source. 

#4 Mr. Lee

Mr. Lee
  • Moderators
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:54 AM

I know Bruce Wheatley personally and while I rarely donate to charities nowadays because most seem to have high overhead, I have and will continue to donate to Bruce because I believe in his efforts to help the poor and sick of the Philippines and I am pretty sure all money he takes in, go to his charities.

I have found during my lifetime that no one can totally swear 100% for another persons integrity but I feel comfortable that Bruce's heart is in the right place and know that even before his charity, that he had gone to the Philippines many times on his own dime and was spending his own money helping the poor with medical and feeding programs but felt he could not do enough with just his own money, thus him starting his charities.

Like with any charity, donate or do not donate at your own comfort level but I know Bruce is doing good things for the poor of the Philippines.

Retired, happily married since 94 & live part time in Cebu City and the rest of the time in Florida, USA.

#5 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • ca

Posted 17 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

I know Bruce Wheatley personally and while I rarely donate to charities nowadays because most seem to have high overhead, I have and will continue to donate to Bruce because I believe in his efforts to help the poor and sick of the Philippines and I am pretty sure all money he takes in, go to his charities.

I have found during my lifetime that no one can totally swear 100% for another persons integrity but I feel comfortable that Bruce's heart is in the right place and know that even before his charity, that he had gone to the Philippines many times on his own dime and was spending his own money helping the poor with medical and feeding programs but felt he could not do enough with just his own money, thus him starting his charities.

Like with any charity, donate or do not donate at your own comfort level but I know Bruce is doing good things for the poor of the Philippines.

I mean no disrespect towards Bruce Wheatley and his activities on behalf of the needy children.  There seems to be a strong dividing line between legitimate helping projects, such as what Bruce does, and projects which are more about supporting the staff engaged in soliciting funds and "administering" such funds.  

The Philippines has a tradition of organizations and people who solicit funds for "good causes," and are later discovered to be suspiciously engaged in lining the pockets of the solicitors.  For that matter, the U.S. probably has a much greater magnitude of such scam organizations, involving millions of dollars in donations.

I wish Bruce Wheatly support for the work he is doing and hope we hear more about his good work in the future.

--Ray B

#6 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • Visa type:K-3
  • ch

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:23 AM

Well I think it's wrong that he has one set up for gay kids. Why spilt the kids up ? They way I see it, he has two of them that will help the gay kids and only one that helps normal kids. ( yes I said normal ).

Kids are kids, if you want to help them then do so but I see no reason to split them up like this.

#7 rbacon

rbacon
  • 4,779 posts
  • ca

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:15 AM

Well I think it's wrong that he has one set up for gay kids. Why spilt the kids up ? They way I see it, he has two of them that will help the gay kids and only one that helps normal kids. ( yes I said normal ).

Kids are kids, if you want to help them then do so but I see no reason to split them up like this.

Hawk,

To further elaborate on your point about 'separate project for gay kids...,"  anytime a small-scale project like this splits its energies with more than one organizational entity, staff's focus is split and quality of support will suffer.

--Ray B

#8 AYENSGUYTOM

AYENSGUYTOM

Ayensguy

• 771 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, sports, politics, world news, family
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:29 AM

We made a small donation to Fr. Shay Cullen and Preda Foundation

I researched it and it seemed legit. Donation was through PAYPAL.

The atrocities against the small, young and vulnerable are just gut wrenching

and so sad. You read these stories and hope for hell, karma and payback.

....while praying for their repentance , of course.

#9 AYENSGUYTOM

AYENSGUYTOM

Ayensguy

• 771 posts
  • Interests:food, wine, sports, politics, world news, family
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca

Posted 21 August 2013 - 01:43 AM

I suspect that there are some who will complain if their donation is diverted to people the donor doesn't approve of. 

In this way, he is upfront and transparent about where the money is going.

#10 Shep

Shep
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • te

Posted 21 August 2013 - 12:25 PM

I believe the idea was or is that some members of society prefer to help or give to certain people. Some like to give to the blind or help with their daily needs so to gain support for the blind one would try to target those who have a connection with the blind in some way. Example if say you had a sister who was blind then your own preference would most likely be helping blind rather than the deaf as you can relate to the needs of the blind.

No kids are given preference over others when it comes to donations such as medication or whatever is given but some members of the gay community have sponsored kids and are sending them to school or helping with their daily needs.

The point I am making is that there are charities for the deaf, blind, hungry or disabled. Those charities only support those and do not do anything else. Bruce is trying anyway possible to at least get some help to some kids which is better than nothing as the problem is huge when it comes to children in the Philippines.

#11 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 27 August 2013 - 05:55 PM

I think we all agree that there is a real problem in the Philippines when it comes to poor kids , we have all been there and seen it .

Don't get me wrong, I do think there is a need to help these kids. My problem is, where do they go once they are no longer kids and these people stop helping him or her because now they are adults ? They need jobs not hand outs. Along with feeding and taking care of them, someone needs to be teaching these kids some kind of trade. You all know that sooner or later those kids will reach an age where they will be cut off cold. Then what ? Begging again ? robbing ? selling drugs ? Become hookers ? 

#12 Shep

Shep
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • te

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:49 AM

I think we all agree that there is a real problem in the Philippines when it comes to poor kids , we have all been there and seen it .

Don't get me wrong, I do think there is a need to help these kids. My problem is, where do they go once they are no longer kids and these people stop helping him or her because now they are adults ? They need jobs not hand outs. Along with feeding and taking care of them, someone needs to be teaching these kids some kind of trade. You all know that sooner or later those kids will reach an age where they will be cut off cold. Then what ? Begging again ? robbing ? selling drugs ? Become hookers ? 

I think it has to do with setting them on the right path. Those who have a sponsor will get an education which is far more than most especially in the very poor rural areas. Education can lead to jobs so that is the best one could hope for when these kids become adults. As for those handouts and feeding, better than dying of hunger or some medical condition. The problem is bigger than any of us can solve but a little here and there is much better than nothing.

#13 HAWK

HAWK
  • Root Admin
  • 5,073 posts
  • ch

Posted 28 August 2013 - 02:26 PM

I didnt say the kids dont need a hand , I was saying the adults need jobs not hand outs. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Charity, Children

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users