14 replies to this topic

#1 islander

islander
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:33 PM

Perhaps ill-advised, given my recent membership and lack of activity on this board, but I cannot help but notice and comment on the fact that almost all replies in most threads contain a complete quote of that to which the reply relates. By the time there are 10 replies, the original post has been replicated many times, with even more replies being quoted. A thread with very little actual content can occupy many pages.

On my computer screen, at least, the quoted original post appears in no different font or color, and one must carefully scan down to find where the quoted material ends and the actual reply or new material begins. It all seems very cumbersome to me. I do not know if those replying are incorporating the quotes by their own free will, or if it occurs without their active participation. I suspect the former. Maybe that's just the accepted and preferred format here and I should keep quiet. Perhaps I'll consider myself warned not to be so uppity.

#2 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • Interests:Pigeons, Paperclips, Pianos
  • em

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

Sometimes I can't tell who's writing what. And then to add to that, some of the ladys signatures take up my whole screen, with many large, very cute pictures of themselves, below each of their posts Posted Image

Perhaps ill-advised, given my recent membership and lack of activity on this board, but I cannot help but notice and comment on the fact that almost all replies in most threads contain a complete quote of that to which the reply relates. By the time there are 10 replies, the original post has been replicated many times, with even more replies being quoted. A thread with very little actual content can occupy many pages.

On my computer screen, at least, the quoted original post appears in no different font or color, and one must carefully scan down to find where the quoted material ends and the actual reply or new material begins. It all seems very cumbersome to me. I do not know if those replying are incorporating the quotes by their own free will, or if it occurs without their active participation. I suspect the former. Maybe that's just the accepted and preferred format here and I should keep quiet. Perhaps I'll consider myself warned not to be so uppity.

#3 beeguy

beeguy
  • 884 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • te

Posted 20 August 2011 - 12:23 AM

You can go to your profile settings for Forums and un-check "View members' signatures when reading topics?", "View images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?", and "View members' avatars when reading topics?" and it will cut out some of that. As for quoting what you are replying to, it is very helpful on long threads to be able to see which specific post is being replied to. You will have to master text editing raw HTML if you want to get fancy with multiple quotes and you should always preview your post before adding the reply.

Have fun.

-Keith (thinking of adding to my signature) :)

03/02/2010: First trip to the Philippines.
04/06/2010: Joined WOF
04/11/2010: Met on Cherry Blossoms.
05/06/2010: Talked her into joining WOF.
05/13/2010: Changed our statuses on Facebook to "in a relationship".
05/28/2010: Met her friend and her employer in Chicago (here on business).
08/17/2010: Booked trip to the Philippines.
09/05/2010: Arrived in Manila late at night. Met her in the waiting area. WOW!
09/08/2010: Met her parents and most of the family!
09/10/2010: Trekked to the top of Mt. Pinatubo and surprised her with a ring. She said YES!
09/19/2010: Had to return to US. :(
03/25/2011: Arrived second visit with her. Together again.
04/14/2011: Flew back to Chicago :(

K-1
07/25/2011: Starting on K-1 package. Where did I put all that stuff???
08/02/2011: K-1 Petition package mailed via Priority Mail to Texas Service Center! The clock is running...

08/09/2011: K-1 Petition package delivered to Texas Service Center.
08/13/2011: K-1 Petition NOA1 received.
01/11/2012: I129F PETITION FOR FIANCE(E) APPROVED
01/27/2012: NVC notification letter received.
02/07/2012: She received the letter from the US Embassy
02/14/2012: She passed the physical at St. Lukes!
02/15/2012: She finished her CFO seminar
02/27/2012: Depart O'Hare for Manila
02/28/2012: Arrived very late in Manila

03/01/2012: Interview at the US Embassy - K1 VISA APPROVED!!
03/07/2012: Visa delivered!
03/08/2012: Got CFO sticker.

03/16/2012: Arrived in the USA together.

05/12/2012: Married!!!

AOS

05/18/2012: Mailed AOS package to USCIS.
08/10/2012: Received temp Emp Auth Card with Advanced Parole from USCIS.

04/04/2013: Received her Permanent Resident Card from USCIS!

Removing Conditions

03/20/2015: Mailed I-751 package to USCIS

03/23/2015: I-751 package arrived at the California Service Center

03/25/2015: I-751 check cashed by USCIS

03/27/2015: I-751 NOA received from USCIS

04/13/2015: Bought tickets to Phil for her brother's wedding in June.

IMG_0692.JPG

#4 islander

islander
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • lo

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:15 PM

SeeSea, I have a fair tolerance for "very cute pictures of themselves" !

Thanks for the tips, beeguy!

Edited by islander, 20 August 2011 - 05:17 PM.

#5 tipmart87

tipmart87
  • 1,395 posts
  • Interests:Climbing Badminton Hiking Scuba My wife
  • Visa type:K-1
  • ca
  • Local Office:san francisco

Posted 20 August 2011 - 05:21 PM

I've noticed that as well

Edited by tipmart87, 20 August 2011 - 05:21 PM.

Visit Arizona this summer for a great Vacation ----Arizona-----

BAD COMPANY

#6 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,238 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:19 PM

[quote name='islander' timestamp='1313793236' post='279776']

[/quote]
The inline quotes that are not in a quote box should normally be older posts. As you can see here, the quoted text is usually in a display box that clearly sets it apart. Also quote blocks of the new style are not quoted again in the new post. To get the quoted text from the post you are replying to, you can do the following.
1) Press reply on the post that was quoted
2) Select the opening [quo te=name] the text of the quote and the closing [/qu ote] tag
3) right click the selected block...click 'copy'
4) Cancel the reply
5) Now reply to the post that quoted the text you just copied. The unquoted text from the message you are replying to now has a leading [quote=name] and closing [/qu ote] tags.
6) Click on the place in the new reply box where the quote was in the original message
7) right click & click on paste.
8) Now click on a space before the first [quot e=name] or after the last [/qu ote] and type your reply.

Some people add their comments to the quoted text in a different color. To do this click on the point where you want to insert your comment. Start your comment with [col or=COLORNAME]your comments closing with[/co lor]
For example this is in green and looks like this (without the space in the word color:) ) [colo r=green]For example this is in green[/c olor]

If you want to break a comment block into multiple comments, then select the opening quote tag including the square brackets. now at the place you want to put your comments, start with a [/qu ote] tag and close your comments by pasting in the opening [quot e=name] tag.

For additional tags you can use click on the Help button at the top right of the text box where you enter a new post (white question mark on blue background in white circle)

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#7 islander

islander
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • lo

Posted 20 August 2011 - 09:50 PM

Thank you Fritz for those helpful comments.

#8 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 21 August 2011 - 04:32 AM

Some people add their comments to the quoted text in a different color. To do this click on the point where you want to insert your comment. Start your comment with [col or=COLORNAME]your comments closing with[/co lor]
For example this is in green and looks like this (without the space in the word color:) ) [colo r=green]For example this is in green[/c olor]

[colour=blue] So you have to use the American spelling then of the word "Colour?" [/colour]

#9 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,238 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 21 August 2011 - 07:39 AM

[colour=blue] So you have to use the American spelling then of the word "Colour?" [/colour]

Yes, it is a computer language keyword ... you have to get used to weird spellings when you try to tell a computer what to do :P

The BBCode script reader is just looking for a combination of letters even if it is a misspelling

So with colour spelled correctly you get

But if you misspell it the way Yanks tend to, you get
So you have to use the American spelling then of the word "Colour?"

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#10 melody

melody

Rule Your mind..Or It Will Rule You..!

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 21 August 2011 - 10:35 AM

Sometimes I can't tell who's writing what. And then to add to that, some of the ladys signatures take up my whole screen, with many large, very cute pictures of themselves, below each of their posts :rolleyes:

You know SeeSea....i suspect you are a MALE and not a female..Mmmmmmmm we just see :rolleyes:

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#11 SeeSea

SeeSea
  • 400 posts
  • em

Posted 21 August 2011 - 03:52 PM

Posted Image And maybe it's you who killed all those poor birds.. we will never know!

You know SeeSea....i suspect you are a MALE and not a female..Mmmmmmmm we just see :rolleyes:

#12 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:04 AM

Posted Image And maybe it's you who killed all those poor birds.. we will never know!

I could be birds-hunter but absolutely an animal-lover :P

Tha adventures continue (let me use this Fritz)! ;)

"Knowledge is a source of power that develope one's social,moral and sritual ability!

Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.....

#13 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 22 August 2011 - 10:17 AM

SeeSea, I have a fair tolerance for "very cute pictures of themselves" !

Thanks for the tips, beeguy!

Hi islander! If i'm not wrong,this is the first i heard from you since i started joining Wof,so wondering why you have this inconvenient...ah perhaps you decide to post more and quote us more..:blink:

Sir Hawk is good coz he provides both options and settings to those who want to place their "very cute pictures of themselves" and those who have fair tolerance.....hehehe ;)

I hope I and hubby are one of those "very cute pictures of themselves" that you have a fair tolerance :D but yet you haven't quoted me :(

Though you are an islander (hoping i get what your username mean to be)..i can tell "No Man Is An Island"!B)

Edited by melody, 22 August 2011 - 10:19 AM.

#14 islander

islander
  • Members
  • 56 posts
  • lo

Posted 22 August 2011 - 06:02 PM

No problem with your pics, Melody.

BTW, the hunting pic, from somewhere in Italy?

I chose the name "islander" because of time spent on so many different RP islands and we now live on a small island on Canada's west coast.

#15 melody

melody

• 2,668 posts
  • em

Posted 23 August 2011 - 10:03 AM

No problem with your pics, Melody.

BTW, the hunting pic, from somewhere in Italy?

I chose the name "islander" because of time spent on so many different RP islands and we now live on a small island on Canada's west coast.

:oOh i thought you solve your problems of quoting..but you haven't quoted me yet.....(just kidding)

The hunting pic is from the northern part of Italy nice man..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users