• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jerrygja

jerrygja
  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:38 PM

Hello everyone. I have met the girl I really want to spend the rest of my life with. We have decided to get married in the Philippines. She lives in manila but we want to get married in Bohol. Her parent lives in president Garcia island. I understand the marriage requirements and I will be in the Philippines from April 30th to may 25th.I hope that will be enough time. my first thing is an appointment on may 2nd at the USA embassy. I wanted to do it the day  before but it is a holiday there. then me and Ana will go to the city hall there to apply for the marriage license. I know we have to wait for ten days. I am hoping we can do all of that in one day May 2nd is a Friday, if not we will have to go to the city hall Monday may 5th

Here are some of my Questions. Is it ten straight days or 10 business days? I book my and Ana trip to Bohol for May 15 to 23rd but I am worry if something goes wrong before while we are  applying and waiting for marriage license and we have to wait longer in manila. Also me and Ana plan on just getting married in front of the judge or mayor in Bohol. Do we need to make an appointment? We will only be in Bohol for seven days, Two in Ubay  and 5 in president Garcia island. Me and Ana also will like to have a small reception and have to plan that. Maybe I am just worry about something going wrong, but it seems kind of hard to plan for a wedding  when you can only be together for a short amount of time and you do not know exactly what day to plan everything.

Anyway I will love to hear how some of you plan your wedding, and any  advice that you could give me.

#2 Martin D

Martin D
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • em

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Having married in the Philippines not too long ago, I have a couple of questions. Are you getting your CENOMAR before you go, and are you pre scheduling your pre Marital Counciling? If I remember right, I think the licence took 10 days...not business days.

#3 jerrygja

jerrygja
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:49 AM

from what I have research, being from The USA.I  believe I do not need the CENOMAR. However I do need a  affidavit in lieu of certificate of legal capacity to marry from the USA embassy and my appointment is set to get it as soon as I can. I know Ana will need a CENOMAR and A NSO birth certificate I think she got both already. I will have to ask her again. I also read on another site that the counseling could be schedule the same day we apply for the marriage license 

#4 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,260 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:32 AM

Get copies of both your and her CENOMARs before you leave. The NSO CENOMAR was required by the Registrar when I married.
Also order Birth Certificates for both of you and have them with you while you are there. Not always needed, but you may be asked at some point.
Order online at: https://www.ecensus....ph/Default.aspx
The documents from eCensus can be mailed to US, but given the timeline, have them delivered to her in Manila. Cost is a bit lower that way also :) Delivery within Philippines requires payment to be made at a BDO or Union Bank branch in Philippines or for depositors of these banks by online banking. Overseas delivery allows online payment directly on the eCensus site.

Remember, you must get 2 CENOMARs for yourself. One from the NSO (eCensus) and one from the US Embassy (Affidavit In Lieu of Certificate of Legal Capacity to Marry)
Don't worry that you are not in their records, that will only delay the delivery while they do a manual search to verify that you do not have a marriage record with the NSO. They will issue a CENOMAR verifying that the NSO can find no record of you being married in Philippines :)

If you have been married before make sure you have the documents showing proper termination of previous marriage. Death certificate, Final Decree of Dissolution of Marriage or other as appropriate.

Have someone check with the Registrar in the municipality where you intend to file to see if the premarital counseling must be done before filing the license (In Argao, we filed, then went to counseling, but each municipality is free to set their own procedure)

Also check dates the judge or mayor will be available. Again in Argao we had a limited choice of dates when they would be available.

You will pick up the marriage license after it has been posted on the bulletin board at the LCRO for 10 consecutive days. It will then be valid for 180 days for use anywhere in Philippines. The premarital counseling completion certificate will be needed in order to pick it up.

The planning was easy. We asked what day the ceremony could be scheduled then spent 2 busy weeks getting the photographer, dresses, resort, cake, chef, band, grocery shopping, pig, rings etc. We even had some time to relax together :P A full wedding can be done quickly, though I did allow 3 entire weeks to get it done from start to finish :P
(the pig wound up butchered instead of roasted, but otherwise all went well)

Make sure there is plenty of extra "plastic" for the "take home" at the reception. There will be a lot of requests from departing guests who did not bring a container for leftovers :P

Above all: Do not stress. You have given yourself plenty of time to get this done. Especially since you won't be accomplishing a full blown wedding ceremony as well :D

God Bless
Fritz

https://www.facebook...64283952&type=3

Edited by Fritz, 26 February 2014 - 08:17 PM.
Corrected erroneous information

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#5 jerrygja

jerrygja
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thank you for the advice I will go ahead and order the CENOMAR just to be safe. I also have copies of my birth certificate from the state I was born in.Do they need to be NSO copies?

Ana is going to get information from the city hall in manila (that is where she resides and work now) to make sure we have everything.

Another question You wrote that we will get married in the same municipality but I thought once you got the license you could married anywhere in the Philippines.

I and Ana have to apply for the license in manila but we are planning to get marry in Bohol.

After we file we was going to set up appointment with a  judge or mayor in Bohol that will be about 2 weeks or more before we go there

#6 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,260 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

Just checked that requirement. NSO states that the license once issued is valid in all parts of Philippines.

Registration of Application for Marriage License
Release Date:
Thursday, May 31, 2012
Reglamentary Period and Place of Registration

Where a marriage license is required, each of the contracting parties shall file separately a sworn application for such license with the proper civil registrar which shall specify the following:

Full name of the contracting party;
Place of birth;
Age and date of birth
Civil Status;
If previously married, how, when and where the previous marriage was dissolved or annulled;
Present residence and citizenship;
Degree of relationship of the contracting parties;
Full name, residence and citizenship of the father;
Full name, residence and citizenship of the mother; and
Full name, residence and citizenship of the guardian or person having charge, in case the contracting party has neither father nor mother and is under the age of twenty-one years.
Requisites in Applying for a Marriage License

1. Original birth certificate or baptismal certificates of the contracting parties or copies of such documents duly attested by the persons having custody of the original.

If either of the contracting parties is unable to produce his birth or baptismal certificate or a certified copy of either because of the destruction or loss of the original, or if it is shown by an affidavit of such party or of any other person that such birth or baptismal certificate has not yet been received though the same has been required of the person having custody thereof at least fifteen (15) days prior to the date of the application, such party may furnish in lieu thereof his current residence certificate or an instrument drawn up and sworn to before the civil registrar concerned or any public official authorized to administer oaths.

The presentation of the birth or baptismal certificate shall not be required if the parents of the contracting parties appear personally before the civil registrar concerned and swear to the correctness of the lawful age of such parties.

2. If either of the contracting parties has been previously married, the applicant shall be required to furnish, instead of the birth or baptismal certificate, the death certificate of the deceased spouse or the judicial decree of the absolute divorce, or the judicial decree of annulment or declaration of nullity of his or her previous marriage.

3. In case either or both of the contracting parties, are between the ages of eighteen and twenty-one, a consent to their marriage of their father, mother, surviving parent or guardian, or persons having legal charge of them, in the order mentioned shall be obtained.

4. Any contracting party between the age of twenty-one and twenty-five shall be obliged to seek parental advice upon the intended marriage. If it is unfavorable, the marriage license shall not be issued till after three months following the completion of the publication of the application thereof.

5. In the case where parental consent or parental advice is needed, the parties concerned shall attach a certificate issued by proper authorities to the effect that the contracting parties have undergone marriage counseling.

6. When either or both of the contracting parties are citizens of a foreign country, it shall be necessary for them before a marriage license could be obtained, to submit a certificate of legal capacity to contract marriage, issued by their respective diplomatic or consular officials.

7. The license shall be valid in any part of the Philippines for a period of one hundred twenty days from the date of issue, and shall be deemed automatically cancelled at the expiration of said period if the contracting parties have not made use of it.

Number of Copies to be Accomplished

It shall be the duty of the contracting parties to accomplish four (4) copies of the Application for Marriage License for registration. After the registration, the civil registrar shall distribute copies of the document bearing the civil registry number as follows: first copy to the registrant; second copy to the Office of the Civil Registrar-General; third copy shall be retained for his file; and fourth copy to the solemnizing office

You will file for the license in the municipality where she resides. There will be a public notice posted on the bulletin board at the Registrar's Offices. The notice will be displayed for 10 consecutive days, and if there are no problems the license will be released after the 10 day period. The Registrar will tell you when you can collect it.

The Pre-marriage seminar is a requirement. Some municipalities also require the Family Planning seminar. Most municipalities allow you to file the license application and then take the PMC after, but the PMC certificate of completion will be required to pick up the license. Dates vary with small towns holding them once a month and large ones as often as twice a week. I suspect that in Manila they will be frequent :)

You need to get your BC authenticated by a Philippine Consulate in the country that issued it in order for it to be a valid legal document in Philippines. For this purpose, you can probably get by without the authentication as there is provision for use of alternate documents such as your passport if the BC is unacceptable or unavailable.
(I missed that requirement when I was getting married and used the passport instead of BC)

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#7 Martin D

Martin D
  • Members
  • 80 posts
  • em

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:18 AM

I also used my passport. You will need a cenomar. All marriages in the Philippines requires it. What you get from your embassy is not a cenomar. That is a certificate in lieu of legal capacity.

#8 jerrygja

jerrygja
  • Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 12:51 PM

thanks I did order my cenomar.I also request it be rush delivery to make sure I have it in time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users