Photo

Where can I get Philippine postage stamps?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,852 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 03 December 2009 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (DobermanGuy @ Dec 3 2009, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 bars of Neutrogena---------------@$8.00 or so, I forget...
6x10 Bubble Mailer from USPS------$1.29
USPS First Class Int'l postage-------$8.64

@$18.00 to send Honey Bear a few bars of soap! blink.gif

The look on her face when she got them: 'PRICELESS'

She is a 'Filipina' and WORTH IT! wink.gif

Yeah, I'll never understand the mathematics behind sending something from the U.S. (at high costs) versus buying the exact same product locally in the PI (at low costs). I know it is a cultural thing so I accept it to a certain degree. But I am sure I will never, never ever, understand it. biggrin.gif

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#22 rouguewave

rouguewave
  • 532 posts
  • Visa type:K-1
  • lo
  • Local Office:USCIS Vermont Service Center

Posted 03 December 2009 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (MrkGrismer @ Dec 3 2009, 11:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'll never understand the mathematics behind sending something from the U.S. (at high costs) versus buying the exact same product locally in the PI (at low costs). I know it is a cultural thing so I accept it to a certain degree. But I am sure I will never, never ever, understand it. biggrin.gif

Actually, mahal ko and I have had some discussions on this that might shed some light. In advance, I acknowledge that you said exact same, but...

She sometimes sends things over there because the quality of goods we have here is better than those available there. The example I kept getting was towels and tee shirts. I've known her and other filipinas who'd buy medium to low quality towels, tees, etc here and ship them over. They would be considered treasured gifts from the recipients. I suspect that's because the expectation of higher quality here causes the manufacturer to ship their better goods here, even when they are actually produced in Asian countries.

Another example would be that the "same exact" product(s) aren't actually that, because they are made somewhere else. This example applies to things like candy bars and chocolate. When I was travelling over there to visit her, I'd have to bring big bags of Hersheys, Cadbury, and even the small snack size of candy bars. When I recognised that there were places there (e.g. Manila) that you could actually buy the "same exact" products a lot cheaper, she told me that people could actually taste the difference and when I tried them I agreed. Sweets here are actually sweeter than the same products available over there.

This applies to artificially sweetened products too. Although I understand that "Diet Coke" (here) and "Coke Lite" (there) are the same formulation, there is a substantial difference in taste. And rest assured I tested a lot over there.

Don't even get me started with McDonalds.
K1 Visa Process
USPS Express Mail I-129F Package sent to USCIS VT Service Center 07/05/07
NOA-1 Received: Notice Date 07/11/07
NOA-2 Received: Notice Date 11/20/07
Medical conducted 12/21, 26, 28/07, 01/02/08
USEM Interview conducted 01/04/08
Visas picked up at USEM (request non-delivery) 01/08/08
Family (Mom & kids) arrive Washington, DC 01/13/08

AOS Process
USPS Priority Mail package to USCIS Chicago Lockbox 03/14/08
Arrived Chicago Lockbox 03/16/08
Checks Cashed for AOS fees 04/24/08
NOA1s received 04/25/08

#23 DobermanGuy

DobermanGuy
  • Members
  • 82 posts
  • Interests:http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w216/scrappydoo2u/Misc%20Picts/Thief001.jpg<br /><br />Interests: Dogs that BITE hard and on REQUEST, Guns (NOT the kind your Mom carries BTW!), Fast Cars (Nitrous is my 'friend' and the LS-1 ROCKS when properly cared for!), Computers, Tacos, LOUD Music, Beer, Steak Fajitas with lots of toppings, My 'SMOKIN HOT' Filipina Honey Bear and Those little 'prizes' that you can sometimes get in the bottom of a box of cereal...<br /><br />Life is good. Stop complaining and enjoy it!!!
  • Visa type:K-1
  • mi

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

QUOTE (MrkGrismer @ Dec 3 2009, 10:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It is because of the 'money saving mentality' over there In My Opinion... smile.gif

My girl is VERY conservative and cautious with her money. She can squeeze a single Peso in her hand and turn it into 125 Centavos with NO PROBLEM. biggrin.gif

She would NEVER spend that much money on a bar of soap. No Way! That does not mean that she would not 'try it' and be glad for it if she received one, It just means that she is very careful about how she manages her money... And YES, She also noticed and mentioned that it came from (and was made in) the US of A... cool.gif

I like to save money as well, but sometimes I stop to consider how much her smile is worth more than I think about saving a dollar.

Like I said before, 'She is a Filipina and she is WORTH IT' !!! wink.gif

#24 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,852 posts
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • lo

Posted 03 December 2009 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (rouguewave @ Dec 3 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another example would be that the "same exact" product(s) aren't actually that, because they are made somewhere else. This example applies to things like candy bars and chocolate. When I was travelling over there to visit her, I'd have to bring big bags of Hersheys, Cadbury, and even the small snack size of candy bars. When I recognised that there were places there (e.g. Manila) that you could actually buy the "same exact" products a lot cheaper, she told me that people could actually taste the difference and when I tried them I agreed. Sweets here are actually sweeter than the same products available over there.

From what I understand this is generally because they use real sugar over there instead of 'high fructose corn syrup'. I don't know if either is 'sweeter' then the other, and I've talked to many people here that prefer the stuff made with 'real sugar'. Perhaps tho the taste (in either case) is different enough to lend it that 'exotic imported' flavor. Me, I didn't notice any real difference (with coke, ice cream, pizza). Again from what I understand, for companies to sell products in the Philippines there appears to be some advantage to having a certain amount of it 'made' in the Philippines. I noticed that Coke is sold there in partnership with San Miguel. It is certainly bottled/canned in the Philippines but I don't know how much more of the process is done in the Philippines.

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users