juris
  • Banned
  • 1,849 posts
  • Visa type:AOS (Approved)
  • ca
  • Local Office:Timbukto

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:22 AM

QUOTE(niceguy @ May 14 2007, 08:57 PM) View Post
Sorry to be so naive as I have so much to read and learn. But what does AOS mean in your timeline?

And what is the income requirement to have your fiancee come over?

AOS is Adjustment of status. Income requirements I guess is 16K per annum.
"Black Skin Exotic & Rare"

#22 Ampalaya

Ampalaya

Latest creation!

• 4,744 posts
  • Interests:Staying VERTICAL!!
  • Visa type:Naturalization, None
  • ca
  • Local Office:Honolulu.

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:33 AM

QUOTE(Steve326a @ May 14 2007, 01:26 PM) View Post
My situation is reversed. I'm the one moving to Bacolod to marry and live with my wife. We do not intend to move to the US to live. My own country won't let me bring her back here due to their ridiculous income requirements. Myself, being on SSDI I will never make it. Heck, I can't even pay rent but over there, I can support myself & my wife. Not like a king but at least similar to a lower middle class family. I will never have that here. I want to leave here now while I still can. I feel that the way things are progressing here, we will soon have closed borders, no one in or out.

I don't quite understand why USCIS acccepts Regular SS and not SSDI.
I guess it's because SSDI isn't always permanent. People do get better and go back to work!

Edited by Ampalaya, 15 May 2007 - 01:34 AM.

Denied K1, K3/K4, CR-1/CR-2, AOS, ROC, Adoption and US Citizenship. Dual citizenship.
All PAU!
Been there! Did it all!

#23 niceguy

niceguy
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • ca

Posted 15 May 2007 - 01:37 AM

QUOTE(Steve326a @ May 14 2007, 06:07 PM) View Post
I believe it's 14k or so. But for someone who's on SSDI and or SSI, it might as well be a million because income from fed or state disability does not even count. It's like saying to me since you're disabled, you're not entitled to a life, or the woman you love or anything else. Just get back in your cage where you belong and shut up. Sorry, it's how I feel sometimes.

I don't understand why they don't include income from disability. Any income, especially consistent monthly income, should be included. And shouldn't the amount of assets be taken into consideration, too?

#24 niceguy

niceguy
  • Members
  • 268 posts
  • ca

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:07 AM

QUOTE(Steve326a @ May 14 2007, 06:07 PM) View Post
I believe it's 14k or so. But for someone who's on SSDI and or SSI, it might as well be a million because income from fed or state disability does not even count. It's like saying to me since you're disabled, you're not entitled to a life, or the woman you love or anything else. Just get back in your cage where you belong and shut up. Sorry, it's how I feel sometimes.

14K or 16K generally does not sound too high. That amounts to a little over minimum wage. However, if you are disabled, then yes it does pose some problems.

#25 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 54 posts
  • Visa type:IR-1

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for putting this in one post. I just came across it while searching, and it is just what I was looking for. I just found out that some of the things I have done so far are wrong.

Does anyone have any updates to this since it is so old? Can it be "stickied" for future reference? How much do I have to worry about info lacking from the Embassy site in Manila?

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

Keepers of the Light. Healers of the Night. http://www.oh-1dmat.org/

#26 Fritz

Fritz

Experience is what you have left after you have lost everything

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts
  • Visa type:CR-1

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:06 AM

<!--quoteo(post=81650:date=May 14 2007, 07:54 PM:name=dataclese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dataclese @ May 14 2007, 07:54 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I understand your situation might not be the most optimal, it is esp hard to make it on that type of assistance only here, but in the Philippines you would not have that you would have to rely on family only. I don't think the USA is about to close it's borders in or out. They have certainly tightened up things but our economy and access to offshore goods would be too high a price to pay to close the borders of course.

Immigration in the US has historically gone up and down in large cycles. There was virtually no immigration from around 1920 to about WWII, but then it rose again for a good time and now looks like it might be declining. Rarely has there been outbound migration but there seems to be a sub-current of that. I hear of a lot of people going outbound these days but they are more than offset by incoming ones. Foriegn born naitonals now comprise more than 32% of the population here at the end of a long upswing in immigration rates.

Demographics are driven as much by social and economic issues than as by puclic policy and politics. - Brent<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My SSDI is mine for life even if I move to RP. Yes, I will lose my SSI portion after 30 days but the remaining SSDI part is more then sufficient as long as we don't try to keep up with the Jones' scenerio. I would love to bring my wife back here. But the govt has minimum income requirements. Even if my SSDI was equal to or higher, it doesn't count. Federal & state tested public means income is not counted. A co-sponsor must be immediate family in same household only. I have a friend who was willing to co-sponsor her but is ineligible. I can't even get her a B-2 visa to visit if I return here for a visit because she doesn't have sufficient income and property to assure departure upon end of visa. That's my biggest gripe of all. It's not really about securing our borders so to speak but rather it's really about the money. During it's instructions for the applications, the govt constantly emphasizes it's fees.

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth

Your friend may still be able to help.
There are 3 ways to meet the requirement
1) income & assets. Being that you are on SSD this one is out
2) co-sponsor. Relatives and dependents pooling their income and assets with yours
3) joint sponsor. A US citizen residing in US Territory who can meet the income and asset requirements without including your income and assets. Only the joint sponsor's household and the sponsored alien are counted for household size. You will not be counted when calculating the household size.

If your friend has income and assets that would meet the poverty guidelines for his current household plus your wife, then he can fill out an I-864 as Joint Sponsor & you will fill out a separate I-864 to show that you would be eligible to sponsor her if you could meet the income and asset guidelines.
I-864 instructions

What Is a Joint Sponsor?
If the person who is seeking the immigration of one or more of his or her relatives cannot meet the income requirements, a "joint sponsor" who can meet the requirements may submit a Form I-864 to sponsor all or some of the family members. A joint sponsor can be any U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old, domiciled in the United States, or its territories or possessions, and willing to be held jointly liable with the petitioner for the support of the intending immigrant. A joint sponsor does not have to be related to the petitioning sponsor or the intending immigrant.

You still have the choice of bringing her to US long enough to get her US citizenship :)

The adventure continues
Fritz

May you find what you want in life,
know it when you see it and
have the good luck to get it
... and keep it!!!

#27 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:29 AM

<!--quoteo(post=81645:date=May 14 2007, 01:26 PM:name=Steve326a)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Steve326a @ May 14 2007, 01:26 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My situation is reversed. I'm the one moving to Bacolod to marry and live with my wife. We do not intend to move to the US to live. My own country won't let me bring her back here due to their ridiculous income requirements. Myself, being on SSDI I will never make it. Heck, I can't even pay rent but over there, I can support myself & my wife. Not like a king but at least similar to a lower middle class family. I will never have that here. I want to leave here now while I still can. I feel that the way things are progressing here, we will soon have closed borders, no one in or out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
I don't quite understand why USCIS acccepts Regular SS and not SSDI.
I guess it's because SSDI isn't always permanent. People do get better and go back to work!

Social Security Pension and survivor's benefits are a permanent pension that suffers no penalty from other incomes aside from income tax for some recipients

SSI & SSD both are discounted based on other incomes and if you earn above a certain income limit or if on SSI, gather assets with a value greater than allowed by law, then they are cancelled. This puts them in the "means tested income" category which is excluded from incomes allowed under immigration law.

The intent is to push people to find a way to get off the Social Security disability programs and support themselves. Unfortunately it severely penalizes anyone who is permanently disabled and needs the income and medical coverage. The SSI restrictions on personal belongings, part time work and other incomes are especially nasty.

If there is a friend or family member who can sponsor the foreign spouse, those on means tested incomes CAN file a petition with the Affidavit of Support income & asset requirement met by a Joint Sponsor. More difficult, but SSI/SSD recipients are not completely shut out.

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#28 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

<!--quoteo(post=81622:date=May 14 2007, 01:48 PM:name=juris)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(juris @ May 14 2007, 01:48 PM) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yep. It took us 3 and 1/2 months to obtain my Visa. Check my timeline.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry to be so naive as I have so much to read and learn. But what does AOS mean in your timeline?

And what is the income requirement to have your fiancee come over?

The income requirement is detailed in the I-864P

The Counseling Seminar is done in the town where the marriage license is applied for.

You will be given the seminar schedule when you file the marriage license application if your town requires it. It is a requirement in Argao, Cebu and may be elsewhere also.

A religious wedding will add additional requirements specific to the faith. Check with local clergy for requirements.

The adventure continues
Fritz

Edited by Fritz, 27 January 2012 - 10:44 AM.

... and keep it!!!

#29 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:15 PM

See also:

http://www.uscis.gov....html#0-0-0-381

http://www.state.gov...ation/86988.pdf

http://www.state.gov...ation/86989.pdf

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#30 dontron64

dontron64
  • 232 posts
  • Visa type:Removing Conditions
  • ca
  • Local Office:Anchorage

Posted 27 January 2012 - 09:05 PM

Don't forget the 10 day waiting period from the time you apply for the marriage license before it will be issued and you can get married. SInce this is pinned, that is a nice tidbit for those seeking answers to their questions that should be noted as well.
Our time line:
-----------
11-2-09 Met for the first time
11-3-09 Went to dinner to celebrate my birthday
11-18-09 Officially became bf/gf.
11-22-09 Went back to the States
1-1-10 Talked to her father on the phone queried about my intentions. Told him I intended to marry her.
10-8-10 2nd Trip back to Philippines
10-10-10 Proposed to her ... She said YES!
10-16-10 Meet her parents and family in the province for the first time
10-25-10 Returned to States
11-2010 Started her annulment process
1-4-11 Free to marry within the country
2-8-11 3rd trip to Philippines
2-10-11 Annulment process complete (can file for US visas now)
4-27-11 Got Married
5-30-11 Finally received marriage contract from priest
6-4-11 Discovered we needed to get an electronic endorsement of our marriage contract submitted
6-22-11 Finally got updated CENOMAR to show annulment of previous marriage
7-29-11 Finally had to say good bye and leave the Philippines after 6 months
8-18-11 Submitted CR-1 pkg to visa service agency
9-9-11 After a thorough review and obtaining additional docs, finally mailed our pkg to USCIS.
9-12-11 NOA1 recieved
3-14-12 NOA2 approved!!!! (per USCIS website)
3-19-12 pkg received by NVC
4-3-12 Finally received NVC case #
4-4-12 Paid AOS fee
4-5-12 USPS'd AOS docs. NVC gave me permission to send in my wife's DS-230 docs without needing to pay for the IV fee first, due to the IV fee change next week and I'm under a tight time schedule.
4-6-12 USPS'd DS230 docs.
4-13-12 will pay new fee schedule for IV fee.
4-13-12 Departing for PI for my 4th trip. (9 mos apart is a long time.)
4-17-12 Completed her medical exam while we were in Manila after my arrival.
4-23-12 paid IV fees
5-4-12 Requested an expedite from manila since I was in country through May - Approved.
5-9-12 NVC finally sends the pkg to Manila.
5-18-12 Finally able to schedule our interview to fit into my in country travel.
5-23-12 Interview, long (6hrs), boring, pain in the butt, but PASSED
5-28-12 Finally received her passport back in Surigao, worried it would pass us as we headed towards manila.
6-4-12 I had to return to the US, she had to take a later flight due to the uncertainty with her passport.
6-6-12 Len arrives in the US in Chicago.
6-7-12 0020 Len arrives on one of the last incoming flights at Hobby Airport in Houston. HOME AT LAST!!!!

#31 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 07:34 AM

Ten business days. When my fiancee and I were there recently in Quezon City, they told us it was that, and not calendar days.

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

#32 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

Ten business days. When my fiancee and I were there recently in Quezon City, they told us it was that, and not calendar days.

I believe it depends on locality, but you are certainly better off planning for business days (and check your Philippine holiday calendar...).

If you believe Modern Sporting Rifles have a legitimate use, please like, share and participate on: https://www.facebook...tamateSportsmen

Medical Exams – A caller explained that the civil surgeon who completed the medical exam used the wrong form and then wanted to charge an indigent refugee to reprocess the paperwork on the correct form. What recourse does an applicant have if this occurs?

USCIS Response: Customers should notify the Director of their local office when they have a complaint about a civil surgeon.

#33 richierich

richierich
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:26 PM

I was married in Hinatuan in Mindanao October 2010. We had to wait 10 business days. We had to attend a Marriage seminar and a Family Planning seminar (2 seminars). We had to wait 10 calendar days to attend the seminars.
I do not know about other cities but here during the seminars if they are not convinced the couple is sincere about marriage then they will not sign the papers and you cannot get married. I know about 2 couples who were denied here.

#34 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:28 PM

I was married in Hinatuan in Mindanao October 2010. We had to wait 10 business days. We had to attend a Marriage seminar and a Family Planning seminar (2 seminars). We had to wait 10 calendar days to attend the seminars.
I do not know about other cities but here during the seminars if they are not convinced the couple is sincere about marriage then they will not sign the papers and you cannot get married. I know about 2 couples who were denied here.

Note that the seminars are for church weddings. I do not believe you have to attend one for a civil wedding.

#35 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

Note that the seminars are for church weddings. I do not believe you have to attend one for a civil wedding.

These are a civil requirement. Waiting until after the 10 day waiting period to attend is a local condition. In Argao they are scheduled on 1 day each week. You apply for the license and then on Thursday you attend a session at Municipal Hall, then everyone goes to the Health Clinic for the second half. The marriage license is only issued after attending the required sessions.

The Catholic Church has an additional set of counseling that is required in addition to these. Other religions may also have similar requirements.

The adventure continues
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#36 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 31 January 2012 - 08:30 PM

These are a civil requirement. Waiting until after the 10 day waiting period to attend is a local condition. In Argao they are scheduled on 1 day each week. You apply for the license and then on Thursday you attend a session at Municipal Hall, then everyone goes to the Health Clinic for the second half. The marriage license is only issued after attending the required sessions.

The Catholic Church has an additional set of counseling that is required in addition to these. Other religions may also have similar requirements.

The adventure continues
Fritz

Odd, the embassy makes no mention of this requirement: http://manila.usemba...v/marriage.html

Nor does the Family Code of the Philippines: http://www.chanroble...eorderno209.htm

#37 Fritz

Fritz

• Root Admin
  • 3,235 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 10:23 PM

Odd, the embassy makes no mention of this requirement: http://manila.usemba...v/marriage.html

Nor does the Family Code of the Philippines: http://www.chanroble...eorderno209.htm

That's okay, applicants will be informed at the time of application :)

Angeles City also requires the seminar. They schedule it at least 10 days after the application.

The Embassy is just listing the documents the applicants need to present. The Seminars are provided at no additional cost by the Municipality and are likely not mentioned simply because they are part of the application process which is not detailed beyond "File and follow instructions".

Here are the details for Argao. The seminar&counseling is now scheduled on Tuesdays.

Issuance of Marriage License

ž About the Service

WhERE a marriage license is required, each of the contracting parties shall file separate sworn application for such license with the proper local civil registrar of the place where either or both of the contracting parties reside.

When the license is issued, the same shall be valid in any part of the Philippines for a period of one hundred twenty (120) days from the date of issue, and shall be deemed automatically cancelled at the expiration of said period if the contracting parties have not made use of it.

ž Fees
*Application fee for marriage license

– Php 200.00

*Pre-Marriage Counseling Fee

– Php 100.00

*Marriage License Fee

– Php 25.00

*CENOMAR

– Php 195.00 plus P 100.00 processing fee

ž Documents Required
*Certified True/Xerox copy of birth certificate of applicants
*Pre-Marriage Counseling Certificate
*Parental consent if applicant is 18 yrs. old but below 21 yrs. old
*Parent Advice if applicant is 21 yrs. old but below 25 yrs. old
*At least one of the contracting parties must be a resident/born in Argao
*Certificate of no marriage (CENOMAR)

Additional Requirements for Foreigner
*Legal Capacity issued by the concerned embassy based in the Philippines

ž Schedule of Service Availability
*Monday to Friday from 8:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.

ž Total Processing Time
*24 mins (excluding the seminar and publication)

ž Steps in Avail the Service
A: As Client, You Shall
B: Office Action to be Taken
C: It Will Take
D: Responsible Personnel/Officials

A: Request an application form and fill it up correctly and submit it to the counter
B: Receives and reviews the submitted documents and application form as to completeness of entries
C: 5 mins
D: Laisevel M. Cape

A: The parties shall sign the duly accomplished application form in front of the MCR
B: *Witness the signing
*Advice the client to pay the required fees at the Municipal Treasurer’s Office
C: 4 mins
D: Jacueline G. Reyes or Laisevel M. Cape

A: Proceed to the Municipal Treasurer’s Office and pay the required fee
B: Receives payment and issues Official Receipt
C: 8 mins
D: Cecilia Jinky C. Otom/Nestora B. Gelbero

A: Go back to the Registrar’s Office and submit the O.R.
B: *Receives the O.R.
*Advice client to attend the pre-marriage counseling and family planning seminar held every Tuesday
C: 3 mins

A: Attend the required marriage counseling and family planning seminar
B: *Render Pre-marriage counseling and Family planning seminar
*Every Tuesday
C: 8 hours
D: Flordeliza A. Botero
MSWDO
Nicefora O. Geverola
RHM
Florencia C. Albite
RHM
Jacqueline G. Reyes
MCR-Designate

A: Submit the certificate of attendance to the Registrar’s Office
B: *Receives the certificate and advice client to return to the LCR Office after the required 10 days of posting/publication of the application pursuant to the Family Code of the Philippines
*Post the application
C: *2 min
*10 days posting

A: Claim the marriage license after 10 days of posting/publication
B: Release the license upon compliance of the applicants to all requirements
C: 2 mins

Remember that the procedure will vary from municipality to municipality. As seen above Angeles requires a 10 day wait before attending the seminar, Argao requires the seminar earlier in the process.

Keep on truckin'
Fritz

... and keep it!!!

#38 richierich

richierich
  • Members
  • 130 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:22 PM

The seminars are a requirement for any wedding here in Hinatuan. Church requirements are whatever the local priest decides. When my wife and i were planning our wedding we were planning for a church wedding. The local priest said yes no problem. In the middle of all our plans the priest was transferred to a different town and the new priest put up so many roadblocks and finally refused to let us get married in the church.

#39 MrkGrismer

MrkGrismer
  • Moderators
  • 12,834 posts
  • lo

Posted 01 February 2012 - 01:53 PM

Maybe it was good we went K-1 ;)

But looks like it wouldn't have mattered. Apparently in Naga City the seminar is only required if one of the participants is under 24:

http://naga.gov.ph/e...rriage-license/

So I guess the bottom line here is to check on the location to find if one is necessary or not. ;)

#40 Doug

Doug
  • Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 02:39 PM

You know, thinking back to when we went to Quezon City's city hall last month, they didn't say anything about my letter from the Embassy not being acceptable. :mellow: And it was from the Embassy here in Riyadh, not Manila.

She went in, and the only problem was the ten business day waiting period. I'll have to double check with her if they saw the paperwork.

Doug

Out of the sandbox.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users